What does NO DEAL at North of Falcon mean?

Check here for Outdoor Line news, trips, public appearances, website updates, and political news. Club announcements are welcome here! here.Image

Re: What does NO DEAL at North of Falcon mean?

Postby rrenick65 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:37 am

Heard it was a quick meeting, this will be a hot topic going forward. Nelly, I listened your show last week, as I do every week, but I remember you talking to the director about the process of acquiring the permit and how there are several ways and scenarios as to how this could play out. I know it may be tedious, but any insight on the scenarios and processes of how this could go?

Also, as horrific as it may be, what would a year of no summer fishing by anyone possibly do for this generation of fish?
rrenick65
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:52 am

First off R,

Let's not confuse "no fishing".

The tribes non-selective gillnets will be killing hatchery and wild coho.
They are playing with words like "no directed coho fisheries" which mean the coho that die in their chinook, sockeye and chum fisheries are "incidental catch" but dead nontheless.

We'll know more later this week so stay tuned but it's looking like the tribes have a fast path to a permit with NOAA and if the citizens of the State of Washington do not recieve similar attention and courtesy from NOAA there will be repercussions to our elected officials.

Oh, did I mention that Governor Inslee is up for re-election this year? spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby olympic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Hey Tom, Looking forward to Saturdays show. I remember it mentioned the permit for the tribes may be easier for them to get than for the one for the WDFW. The tribes are the ones who have not bargained in good faith which is in direct violation of the co-management arrangement. I would hate to see the tribes get their permit months ahead of the permit for us leaving us sitting on the beach while they net, which is what I believe they really want! That would reward the tribes for their bully tactics! I know Rob doesn't like to get political, and I know you want the show to not be a downer, but this is super important. My main fishery that I pursue is MA-11, 13 so I am deeply concerned. And yes I am a CCA and PSA member. Thanks.
olympic
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Hey Oly,
You're right, I don't like the show to be about politics at all and neither does Robbo.
However, when our states officials are threatened by Bob Turner of NOAA who told WDFW that they had better "take the deal with the tribes or you won't get a permit for eight months", it's time to call the arrogant bureaucrats out.

For the tribes to get a permit to fish on an expedited basis while NOAA drags its feet is unacceptable.
We should expect our fisheries to take place on time and with full seasons.
Anything less is unacceptable.

For NOAA to threaten our state while their lack of follow through has placed our steelhead and salmon hatcheries at risk is unacceptable.

It's an election year folks and if our elected officials to allow this injustice to take place it's time they lost their jobs. beatdeadhorse
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby olympic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Is this the same Bob Turner who used to be our WDFW directer back in the late 1980's? I met that twirp after the taping of the show Town Meeting hosted by the late Ken Schram. That episode was held down @ Fisherman's Terminal. I could tell from our one on one "discussion" that he can give a rip less about sport fishing! Why does a person with values like his keep having influence on our fisheries? We need to let the powers that be that someone of his values will not be tolerated! Just hearing his name really got my hackles up! I will never forget him....... :x
olympic
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:26 am

Let's start our NOAA email campaign with;
NOAA knucklehead Will Stelle at will.stelle@noaa.gov
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby SlumRunner » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Tom & Robbo,

Long time listener but new to the boards. I just wanted to thank both of you for what you do for us in the angling community. You are both well educated and share a ton of knowledge.

With that being said, I'm not going to go on a tirade about the potential of no fishing in Puget Sound. I will say, that this is the first time I have ever written to my politicians and to NOAA. I strongly urge everyone that has been like myself thinking, "Someone else will write in for me...or what impact will one letter have?" to write in to our politicians and to NOAA. NOW IS THE TIME!!! Big shout out to our new WDFW commissioner to have to balls to stand up to the tribes.

I do have a question though - if our salmon season gets shut down in the sound...will you still be able to take kids out fishing for flounder, lingcod, and other non salmon fisheries in the sound?

Enough about this...now need to go out and catch some trout!

Thanks Again,

Sam Rutledge - Gig Harbor, WA
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:50 am

Hey Sam,
Thanks for joining our Forum and the fight against NOAA.
To your question, we will be able to bottomfish and go shrimping/crabbing. We would however, lose our river salmon & sea-run cutthroat opportunities.
The bottom line is that is not an outcome that is acceptable and we will fight hard to make NOAA do it's job!!! 50cal
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Chasin' Baitman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Nelly wrote:For the tribes to get a permit to fish on an expedited basis while NOAA drags its feet is unacceptable.
We should expect our fisheries to take place on time and with full seasons.
Anything less is unacceptable.

I'm not a lawyer but wouldn't the tribes getting permitted in an express fashion and then harvesting salmon (while we are still off the water) be in violation of the Boldt decision?

If so, would such a scenario trigger a federal lawsuit of the feds by the state? I would think that would be automatic.
Chasin' Baitman
Pollywog

Postby olympic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:23 am

Also, I see this as blatant discrimination too!
olympic
Pollywog

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Line News and Announcements