Great Anacortes Fishing Film Festival

Check here for Outdoor Line news, trips, public appearances, website updates, and political news. Club announcements are welcome here! here.Image

Great Anacortes Fishing Film Festival

Postby Dash One » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 am

Press Release
(360) 293-6450

For Immediate Release

Derby Committee Announces Video Contest and Viewing
Anacortes, WA - In conjunction with the 7th Annual Anacortes Salmon Derby, event organizers have planned the 1st Annual GAFFF - Great Anacortes Fishing Film Festival - to take place in the event tent at the Cap Sante Marina - Friday evening, March 29th on Derby weekend. This video festival will replace the venerable Friday-night salmon seminar with a new and exciting event-within-an-event, and the first of its kind for Washington salmon fishing aficionados. “We want to energize and invigorate the audience the night before the derby by celebrating saltwater fishing” said Rob Endsley, one of the contest judges, Alaskan charter boat captain, and co-host of ESPN Radio’s Outdoor Line. Endsley went on to say “The old Friday-night salmon seminar was a good thing ... very informative and well received, but over time, in my opinion, has become somewhat stale. This new idea of a video night should remain fresh and relevant every year, for many years to come.”

This expo is also a contest, where all videos shown will be shot and submitted by anglers to be judged by a select committee – the winning entries awarded trophies and prizes including industry-leading GoPro Cameras™. Derby organizer Jay Field stated: “The ski-guys and snowboarders have been doing this for years ... Warren Miller-esque if you will, as well as the surfers and fly-fisherman. Why not us? I see this as something that can take on a life of its own, possibly rivaling the derby itself in terms of popularity. Wrap it in a contest, show some recognition, some cool footage, and I believe you’ve got the ingredients for something special.”

Contest promoters have split the contest into two divisions: Amateur & Professional - and two categories: Feature Videos & How-To Videos. You are encouraged to submit as many videos as you would like for consideration. For more information on video contest rules and eligibility, please go to: www.anacortessalmonderby.com Admission to the Friday night GAFFF showing is free to all Anacortes Salmon Derby contestants.
-30-
Dash One
Pollywog

Re: Great Anacortes Fishing Film Festival

Postby Dan Carney » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:41 am

Jay,
This sounds like a great addition to the derby. Having fished this derby the last several years, I have attended each of the Friday night events. Most of the evening's topics weren't revelational to fishermen who have spent any time on the water in the San Juans. That said; the one session I pick up useful information on every time I see it regards techniques to adjust and interpret the sonar. I suspect most recreational fishermen do not get the maximum benefit from their unit. I upgraded to a better unit last year. Robbo and Nelly were quite helpful providing answers to questions and reading screenshots. The session from Lowrance last year really helped me put it all together, and I kind of hate to see that session go. Thanks for putting on such a great event and sponsoring a terrific charity.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Re: Great Anacortes Fishing Film Festival

Postby Dash One » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Dan,

Thanks for your comments. I hear ya about the sonar interpretation learning curve. Although we're moving away from a seminar, there'll be plenty of opportunity to pick others' brains ... and ask those questions about your electronics that either confound you, or things that stand out as you become more familiar with your system.

Besides using Robbo & Nelly as resources, you can seek out both Capt's. John Keizer in the Lowrance boat and Capt. Dave Aumen in the Simrad boat. These guys are there to help ... and more than willing to walk you through, step-by-step, on their boats, which are akin to floating electronics display labs. All these guys are very approachable, so don't be afraid to corner them and get the info you need.

Look forward to seeing you at the 2013 event.

Regards,

Jay
Dash One
Pollywog

Return to Outdoor Line News and Announcements