Lake Sammamish

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Lake Sammamish

Postby Eagle Spirit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Does anyone have any information that they are willing to share about Lake Sammamish? I was watching the games Sunday and could see out over the lake and there were a couple bouts out on the lake. There was one boat that was out there most of the day and I saw a net in the air at least once. They were out in the middle closer to the south end of the lake.

Were they most likely fishing for cutthroat?

I know people fish for bass right off the docks right out from the house, again southeast shore. I have never fished for bass so doubt I will start anytime soon unless I was able to go out fishing with someone that actually knew what to do.

Where can a person find the most info on Lake Sammaish fisheries? Would be nice to have an alternative for when the rivers are blown.

Thanks!
Eagle Spirit
Pollywog

Re: Lake Sammamish

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm

This time of year they were more than likely fishing for cutts. Use a wedding ring rigged with a nightcrawler behind a lake troll or even a firecracker sized cut plug herring. Some guys will use small hootchies behind a small flasher as well. I have had good luck with jointed Rapalas on LW. I usually don't troll any deeper than 20ft. As far as bass fishing, they are pretty deep this time of year but this spring as the water warms up they will move up shallow and you can have a lot of fun fishing right off the dock. Hope this helps and good luck.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Robbo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:03 pm

I just got one of those Clackin' Crawdaddies in the mail SalmonHawk. This thing is gonna be a winner for those bastages in front of your place come spring. They are going to start making a 3.5 inch model too. These things should be money for NW smallies.
clackin_craw.jpg
The Clackin' Crayfish by River 2 Sea
clackin_craw.jpg (150 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Salmonhawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:08 am

I'll expect some when I see you saturday. I can't tell you how many bass puked up crawfish this summer, it's going to be on!
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby FrozenHerring » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Eagle Spirit! Its great to hear of people getting excited about these under-utilized fisheries!

Yes these boats were after Trout!

Here are a few setup combos and tips that have worked great for me over the last decade or so and resulted with some very consistant fishing and a trophy or 2!

Flashers/dodgers:
00 and 000 herring dodgers in 50/50,Hammered,Silver Scale, Red and Silver

Lures Ran with scents 12-24in behind your dodger on Fluorocarbon leaders:

Brads Wee Wigglers in pirate or rainbow trout colors
Wardens Flat Fish F3,F4,F5 and F7 in Froggie, Gold Green Pirate, Blu silver pirate, Rainbow trout, Firetiger, red with black spots
Needlefish Spoons in all 3 sizes, firetiger, Rainbow trout, red and Frog
Mini-Squid or Macks Cha Cha rig in pink, orage flame or blue/green with a piece of nite-crawler
Wedding rings (all of them work)
Firecracker Herring brined in just salt water (I troll them without flasher or dodger)

Boat Setup:
2 downriggers Run gear 20-30ft Back in lake Samm alot farther on Lake Wa, 1 Lead line or 1 long line way back
Electronics are key, you can literally Finder spot these Cuttys as you pass by if you run a little further back!

If you don't have downriggers dont frett!! just let out a couple more colors!!

About these Fish:
There are many Silvery species sharing both lakes! All the Salmons, Cutthroat, Steelhead, Rainbows etc.
This means it is of utmost importance to take care whilst identifying your catch!!! Carry a good copy of the regs!
Bear in mind that anything over 20" is a steelhead and you don't want to keep that, also there "are not" Kokanee in this lake, there just happens to be Sockeye in the lake year round :? ... there are also Cutt-Bows in both lakes as well!

If you are ever in Woodinville du please feel free to stop by Dougs Boats And Outdoor as I keep most of what you need in stock 24/7
I can mark some great spots on the map for you and get you generally excited for such a killer fisherie!

If you want more info on Bass I can dial you in as well.

Tight Lines!
FrozenHerring
Pollywog

Postby Eagle Spirit » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks for the great info!

FrozenHerring, please PM me your name and I will stop by Doug's. I live in Woodinville.
Eagle Spirit
Pollywog

Postby FrozenHerring » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

PM sent!
FrozenHerring
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion