Downrigger hum sound

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Downrigger hum sound

Postby pcorazao » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:55 am

When I am fishing with my downrigger I can hear a hum sound coming from the down rigger cable. Is that normal, do the fish mind, and should I switch up to braid?
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Re: Downrigger hum sound

Postby Nelly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:44 pm

pcorazao wrote:When I am fishing with my downrigger I can hear a hum sound coming from the down rigger cable. Is that normal, do the fish mind, and should I switch up to braid?

Yes, no and I wouldn't...

Allow me to explain: The humming of the downrigger wire is completely normal and should not concern you very much at all.

Do the fish "mind" the humming? I believe that in a high-density fishery (Think Possession Bar this past July) where you have a high number of boats fishing in a relatively small area, that the amount of sounders pinging, cannonballs swinging and yes, possibly several wires humming could spook salmon.

If you're out working an area without much pressure, I sincerely believe that wire hum is not an issue.
The bottom line with me on the braid versus wire discussion begins and ends with the following truth: If braid was better than voltage-controlled (black-box or Cannon Positive Ion Control) stainless wire, then the professionals would ALL BE USING IT...

They're not and neither do I cheers spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby pcorazao » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:26 am

Awesome, glad i asked.
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Postby grizz80 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Question with regards to voltage, if my Scotty down-rigger's line voltage is within the desired voltage range , is this the same as what Cannon's Positive Ion Control down-riggers produce?
Thank ya!!
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:27 pm

Hey Grizz,
All Cannon Downriggers have Positive Ion Control that imposes a 0.6 volt charge on the downrigger wire which is right in that productive "fishy" range.
On the DigiTroll 10 unit the voltage is adjustable from 0.1 to 1.0 volts and on the rest of the electric downrigger line the voltage is fixed cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby grizz80 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:44 pm

rockon
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby pcorazao » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 pm

voltage-controlled? I have a manual hand crank cannon, are you saying some actually put electric current into the water?
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion