westport bottom fishing

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

westport bottom fishing

Postby joechiro30 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 am

It took us a while to find the lings but once we found one there were several more in the same spot. We were fishing out of westport in the open ocean. We used a mooching set up with frozen herring. We hooked ling after ling once we found them, but couldn't get a bite from a rock fish. We were using blue label herring with 5-6 ot hooks with about 8oz of lead.
Any tips on finding the rock fish? and what setup is productive in catching them once you find them out in the open ocean near westport?
joechiro30
Pollywog

Re: westport bottom fishing

Postby BigBankWA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 am

Unfortunately, getting someone to give you a set of GPS coordinates won't be easy, at least not a set that is any good. Guys guard them pretty close.

As far as WHAT to use, the charters fish your same rig you used for lings, with a SHRIMP FLY tied on a loop about 2-3 feet above the sinker. You get doubles on the herring and fly when they are thick, but you get bass on both baits consistently, when they are biting.

You can get some good starting spots just by locating a charter. Prior to salmon season they are all fishing bottom fish. They don't appreciate it, so I stay off that spot the day I snag it...but I have no problem popping a way point in as I cruise by and looking the spot over on another day. Try north of harbor, 150-180' of water, as a starting point...
Brian "BigBank" Saltvick
Mortgage Loan Officer by trade
MLO 176443
Fisherman by choice!
BigBankWA
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion