herring

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

herring

Postby billm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 pm

I am wondering how long cured bait (herring, sardine, shrimp, etc) can be kept before it should be discarded. I keep my baits in the refrigerator when home and in a cooler, under ice when out fishing, but don't want to discard them too early, or keep them too long. I realize there are many different processes and cures, so any information would be helpful.
Thank you,
Bill
billm
Pollywog

Re: herring

Postby Robbo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 am

It really differs from cure to cure Bill. Some will last up to a week and others just a couple of days. If they start getting mushy, the scales burn off, or they get the "raisin" look it's time to discard them. There's no real set time it's just a matter of what they look like. By keeping the cold they will definitely last a lot longer though thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: herring

Postby billm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for getting back Rob. I am experimenting with different cures, colors, and products and wasn't really sure how long I can keep the bait before tossing it out. At nearly $6 a dozen, it can get a little expensive if I toss half out every day or so. But having said that, I don't want to fish bait that should have been tossed. Side note, when springer fishing last Saturday and got an 18# fish. Jumped completely out of the water several times. New experience for me.
Thanks,
Bill
billm
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion