cowlitz

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

cowlitz

Postby pcorazao » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:52 pm

If I was to try for some steelhead on the cowlitz river, where exactly should I go and what bate should i use? I am 100% new to it, so i need to know the line and bate, never done it before. I would have to fish from shore.
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Re: cowlitz

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:37 pm

Welcome aboard P,
Try to get some fresh sand shrimp from a tackle shop or from low tide on a sandy Puget Sound beach.
You could also get some fresh prawns from a grocery store and cure them up with a little Pro-Cure.

Most of the guides down there have gone to yarn balls instead of bait but from the bank you need an advantage! \

Good luck! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: cowlitz

Postby DuckDog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:42 am

If you're bank fishing I would probably rig up with a float and jig set up. Set up your jig so it's about a foot off the bottom and your in business. Some of the guys are also using a bead below their jig or even just a straight bead. The best bank fishing spot is generally up and downstream of Blue Creek hatchery. Any tackle shop worth their salt can help you set up this rig. DuckDog
DuckDog
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion