Farr Better Flashers

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Farr Better Flashers

Postby Fishee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:06 am

I bought 4 new flashers this summer made by Gibbs, Farr Better versions. These are the ones with breaks off and you can feel less drag when a fish is hooked. The tension is between you and fish once it breaks off. I love the idea and it works great.

What had happen is I've lost a few fish and lure on these flashers and I believe the reason is due to constant rotation, the thick mono line that runs through the red pin is tearing or scrapping when the flasher is rotating under water.

After so many hours of use, the line get weak and snaps right off when a fish take the lure. I am curious if other had same problem. I notice my other 3 new flashers which I've used now has shredded or shaved mono line that runs through the red pin.

I really hope Gibbs can improve the breakaway features. I'm going back to the regular type of flashers.

Thanks all

I decided to go back to the regular flashers without the breakaway option.
Fishee
Pollywog

Re: Farr Better Flashers

Postby Nelly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:02 am

Hey Fishee,

I've had similar experiences with release flashers and the failing "harness" issue.

What it all boils down to for me is this:
Is the maintenance/hassle of the harness worth using them?

The answer for me is "sometimes"...
For fast and furious summer chinook? Nope, give me solid traditional flashers.

For winter blackmouth when strikes are light and you handle your gear a bit less due to longer time period between strikes? Yes, I sometimes use release flashers in the winter.

Will release flashers ever replace my beloved Luhr Jensen Coyote Flashers? No way Jose' cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Farr Better Flashers

Postby Brandon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:30 am

Just to add on to what Nelly said. I used the breakaways for one summer and for the exact same reason you stated...... stopped using them and went back to normal flashers. To many harnesses wearing down and I also was having a hard time getting the flasher to spin right cause crimps kept sliding.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion