Really, No Inner Elliott Bay Summer Fishery?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Really, No Inner Elliott Bay Summer Fishery?

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:34 am

I didn't get to listen to the whole Outdoor Line today but I gather from what I did hear that there will be no Inner Elliott Chinook fishery this year. Really? That seems pretty lousy. The fishing is not always the best, but it's a tradition, you can fish it before work, and it's one of the better places for car-top fishers to try for a King. It's particluarly unfortunate not to have that fishery in a Pink year because the Pinks headed for the river provide a nice source of action even if the Chinook fishing is slow. Will Inner Elliot be open for Non-Chinook Salmon? If it's completly closed, I'm damn interested to hear what the tribes will be doing in the river. It's amazing that anything that could swim makes it through those nets. Are recreational anglers being penalized because the tribe's nets killed off the Chinook when they hit the river in past years? This stinks.
Ryan
Pollywog

Re: Really, No Inner Elliott Bay Summer Fishery?

Postby Nelly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:50 am

Yeah, it stinks bro... I'm sorry you didn't get to listen to the entire show....

Just kiddin' :lol: The lousy part is losing Elliott Bay this summer but the low numbers forecast in the Green river cannot support a directed chinook fishery this year. However, we will have an opportunity for pinks in EB beginning on August 15. There will be some gear restrictions in place for inner Elliott Bay since there will be chinook present while the pink fishery is taking place. No bait will be allowed and hooks will be limited to 1/2" gape.

If the tribal test fishery indicates harvestable numbers of chinook, then an emergency opening will be announced. Because of this possibility, the pink openings will follow the Friday through Monday pattern of years past.

These are the Elliott Bay scenerios that were presented at the North of Falcon meeting earlier this week and will be finalized at San Mateo, California next week.

Stay tuned as we have friends down there who will be keeping us up to date as our salmon seasons are finalized! :D
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion