Auto pilot? Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin TR-1?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Auto pilot? Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin TR-1?

Postby divankov » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 am

I am hoping that someone can help me here. I am planning to to add an autopilot to my boat and use it for trolling for salmon. I expect to use it for heading hold or to track contour lines in Puget Sound. I have been looking at a number of units including ones that attach directly to the kicker (TR-1) and others (Lowrance/Raymarine) that connect to the main outboard that I could then attach with a bar to my kicker. [BTW - I have a Lowrance HDS Gen2 for my finder/plotter so I would like something that interfaces].

The new Lowrance looks pretty affordable but haven't seen any reviews on it yet.
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx

The Tr-1 looks tied and true but also hasn't been updated for quite a while. It's pretty expensive though at about $3500 installed. Also, a friend has it and says it isn't that easy to use.

I would really appreciate any help here - want to get my 20' Alumaweld set up for this summer. Any advice?

Thanks,

Dominic
divankov
Pollywog

Re: Auto pilot? Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin TR-1?

Postby Jeff Nance » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:55 am

I would avoid the TR-1. I have not had a good experience with mine. I can honestly say it has more bugs than a run down dive bar. I wish I had purchased a main engine autopilot or simply went with a remote throttle and the new Seastar steering cable system, much more reliable. I have a tie bar for backup because of my issues.
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm

I've got to agree with Jeff.
The way to go is a main engine outboard autopilot and a tie-bar attachment to the kicker.
Autopilots have gotten much less expensive and easier to install as well.

By using your boats existing hydraulic system and your Lowrance or Simrad display as the control unit, you save a few bucks in the equipment and install department. cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby divankov » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the advice here. From the sounds of it, I shouldn't expect any control issues at low speeds if I tied the kicker in the outboard together correct? Given that I'm using an HDS GEN2 unit, are there any specific recommendations that you would make for an autopilot system? Do you know if anyone has any experience with the new Lowrance autopilot system?

Thanks,
Dominic
divankov
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey Dominic,
The configuration you mentioned is exactly what I'm running i.e. main engine AP running the kicker in a slow mode and it works flawlessly.
My head unit is a Simrad (Lowrance's big brother) and they also offer an autopilot that can be used in conjunction with your existing electronics installation.
The other way to go is with the new Lowrance Gen 3 system which has an autopilot integrated into the display.
Either way you will not be dissapointed. When your main engine is "in the game" or turning with your kicker, you gain a lot of rudder authority that really makes boat control simple, easy and fun!!! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby divankov » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Nelly - thanks for the help here! Really appreciate it. Saturday mornings with the Outdoor Line is practically religion for me.

-Dominic
divankov
Pollywog

Postby tavarua1 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:49 am

We JUST installed the LOWRANCE OUTBOARD AUTOPILOT ON OUR PARKER 2320SL. We have a Lowrance Gen2 Touch. As of this writing - here are the problems we experienced:

--directions are horrible; try finding the installation or operators manuals for the autopilot on the Lowrance webstie; they don't exist;

--no information in the installation manual on how to purge the autopilot pump;

--the standby switch has no color coded diagram for wiring into the NAC-1; we blew fuses because a Lowrance tech gave us incorrect wiring information;

--the autopilot came with a new POINT-1 ANTENNA (the POINT-1AP). No where in the instructions does it indicate if you are required to install this antenna in addition to the one that is already on the boat used as a heading sensor and GPS receiver;

--many calls were placed to the Lowrance techinical group. We received conflicting information and on occasion incorrect information. We still are waiting for a response on whether two Point-1 antennas or just one are required to operate the [chart plotter] and auto pilot.

--LASTLY, AS OF THE WRITING, LOWRANCE DOES NOT HAVE THE SMARTSTEER SOFTWARE COMPUTER PROGRAM AVAILABLE TO OPERATER THE SYSTEM.

Yes we are frustrated and are disappointed Lowrance would put out a product they can't support. Will update when Lowrance solves the above problems and we can sea trail the autopilot.
tavarua1
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 am

Sorry you've had some issues with your new autopilot. You definitely need to have the Point-1 GPS antennae installed (or an RC-42) for the autopilot to receive compass info. As for purging the hydraulic steering system and pump there is plenty of information available online for that and truth be told it's probably a job better suited for an outboard shop as they have the equipment to get it done quickly and correctly. I've heard that there's a software update coming out the middle of May that will fix all of the issues you're experiencing. Haven't seen it yet...just hear it's release is imminent. Dealing with issues like this is frustrating indeed and please keep us posted on how things go.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby tavarua1 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks for the response Robbo
Will update once the Lowrance software for the Gen2 Touch is available and the we complete the sea trial.
tavarua1
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sat May 09, 2015 11:26 am

No problemo Lane thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion