Breaching dikes will restore 360 acres near Marysville

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Breaching dikes will restore 360 acres near Marysville

Postby Jerm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 pm

This looks like a pretty good plan. Better than nothing.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110204/NEWS01/702049838/-1/taxonomylist
Jerm
Pecker Trout

Re: Breaching dikes will restore 360 acres near Marysville

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 pm

This is definitely a good start, it'll be nice to track results once all 1200 acres are restored. This type of project is sorely needed. I had the privilege to sit down adn have lunch with a couple of Seattle "old timers" the other day and was amazed to here that the land around the stadiums was built up and filled with saw dust from the old mills. One of the guys was an architect and the other is a builder. They mentioned how far you have to drive piles in that area before you hit anything solid. They even told me about one building that you could go down in the basement and watch the tide ebb and flood. Amazing! Makes you wonder what the fishing would be like if we still had all of that marsh.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Re: Breaching dikes will restore 360 acres near Marysville

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 am

Hey Jerm,
Great post and it really brings me back.
I grew up in that area and hunted and fished the Allen Creek area. Cutthroat trout in the spring, Bass (yes, bass) in the summer, coho in the late summer and ducks in the fall.
Once they installed that tide gate the coho run was dead and it didn't do any favors for the sea-run cutty either.
Once we open up some of this long, lost estuarine habitat and get a handle on booming cormorant populations we will see steelhead populations rebound along with wild coho and chinook!
Very cool stuff and to have the opportunity to watch nature reclaim the hunting and fishing habitats of my youth is very special indeed! :D
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion