White King Question

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: White King Question

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Hey Fives,
If we were playing "Stump the band"... I would owe your table a round of drinks!!!... You got me! I don't know! :oops:

I cannot honestly say that a "Blush" or "Marbled" colored flesh chinook are cross-breeds but it would seem a reasonable assumption.

To determine the answer to that question, one would have to know if the ability to retain red pigment was a dominant or recessive gene trait. That type of genetic analysis is well beyond my training and experience in the fisheries biology field.

All I know is that if Tobeck and I ever catch a white one he has to give it to me!!! :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Spud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm

I saw a red and white being filleted in PT at the Derby. It was a wild Area 6 fish. Almost striped in red and white like a zebra . I have never seen anything like it.
I haven't noticed a difference in taste in the white king salmon, but there is that "visual" that may deter the taste buds..........

Spud
FISHTALE 2
Spud
Pollywog

Postby Brandon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks for the help Nelly. I get it now. The fish Spud describes sounds CRAZY!
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby FrozenHerring » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:03 pm

IME the white kings that have died in my boat have almost always been monsters! I am of the belief that the white kings also have an uncanny hankering for SQUIDIES!! The whities i have kept in or near the ditch tasted like dooh dooh but others have tasted just fine so i reckon if you take good care of them they would be just fine....
FrozenHerring
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:22 pm

I will extend my offer to Tobeck of taking all his white kings to everyone on the board!
If you want to get rid of those nasty, pale things, just let me know!!! :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm

I found the letter from Ed Jones. It contains some interesting information, though it does contain somewhat of a contradiction. He talks about white kings being very rare south of Southern BC and then the note from the Washington fisherman confirms that a large part of their catch in July is white king. I doubt that many Canadian fish dip that far south of the border. Regardless, more interesting stuff 8-)

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (170.64 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Ruckus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:20 pm

That's interesting info thanks Rob pretty cool stuff.
The Chilkat River dumps in right there in Haines, AK. It runs right behind my Aunts house in the village of Klukwan. Killer monster coho fishn in the fall, but it runs chocolate brown from glacial meltoff all summer long. Not much opportunity to catch any whites in that unless your using a gillnet.
HUNT STRONG.....FISH STRONG.....HUNT STRONG FISH! www.ruckusoutfitters.com
Ruckus
Pollywog

Previous

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion