Brads cut plug

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: Brads cut plug

Postby Jerm » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Oil pack tuna if you use tuna. Kings love it for some dam reason.

And replace the sponge that come with it, with a shammie or shamwow. Holds the sent better.
Jerm
Pecker Trout

Postby David » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 pm

I used them out of Neah Bay and Westport last year and they worked well. I haven't had as much success in the Sound, but I usually fish whole herring or spoons. I re-tie with a double hook setup (like a mootching rig) and have the rear hook past the end of the plug. Use a bead chain on the leader. Get some surgical tubing from the tackle store and you can cut your own "rubber bands" to hold the shell together. You will often lose it when a fish takes the bait. Very easy to set up and faster than a real cut plug.
David
Pollywog

Postby Jerm » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm

This how i rig mine up. Ive seen a lot of different ways to rig em. Find one you like and get it the water.

[url]Image[/url]
[url]Image[/url]
Jerm
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Good stuff Jerm, thanks for the illustration.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Gray Ghost » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 pm

I've come up with a Brad's Cut Plug rigging that is very clean, that I've never seen mentioned or illustrated, no bead chain or tubing and spins better than any other rigging that I have tried.

Tie a double 2/0 or 3/0 Octopus hook snelled 20lb. leader, spaced, lower hook eye to the bottom of the upper hook, hook points opposite directions. Use a 6" piece of 10lb. mono. to tie a 4 turn Uni knot on the leader 1 1/2" -2" above the upper hook, make sure it is tight and cut the tag ends. Thread on a 8mm plastic bead, color your choice, on the leader and slide the 8mm plastic bead down to the Uni knot. Thread the leader through the large middle hole of the Brad's Cut Plug, through the upper hole and then tie off the leader to the terminal bead chain/ball bearing swivel. Do not use the lower hole. The Brad's Cut Plug spins on the 8mm plastic bead that is resting on the Uni knot. Hook hang back can be adjusted to your desired distance by just adjusting the Uni knot up or down the leader.
Gray Ghost
Pollywog

Previous

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion