Cannon questions

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Cannon questions

Postby Reel Deal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm considering making a switch. I have not been able to find the answers to some questions and I'm hoping you could take a few minutes and answer them.

The digitroll 5vs10 what is the biggest difference?

Can you adjust the voltage on each down rigger or is it present at the factory?

Can you use braid on the digitroll and will the stop work?

Do you have to have a hummingbird fish finder to use the bottom track feature?

Can you hook a transducer direct to one rigger and bottom track?

Can you hook 2 digitroll to 1 transducer and bottom track with both?

I think that’s about it for now.

Thanks

Ryan
Now Booking & Fishing Puget Sound Blackmouth, Also Booking Columbia River Spring Chinook www.reeldealguideservice.com
Reel Deal
Pollywog

Cannon questions!

Postby Nelly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Those are all great questions and I'll be more than happy to address them! :ugeek:

The Digi-Troll 5 vs Digi-Troll 10; what is the biggest difference?

Basically the Digi-Troll 5 (DT5) has all the features of a DT10 but you must connect it to a Humminbird Fishfinder to utilize those operational elements. The Cannon DT10 is a stand-alone unit that requires only a $95 dollar transducer for full bottom-tracking functionality. Here's a link to the 'ducer http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/390742/Digi-Troll_Transducer

Can you adjust the voltage on each downrigger or is it present at the factory?

Both the Cannon DT5 and DT10 have a fully adjustable (from 0.0 Volts to 1.0 Volts) Positive Ion Control (PIC) that is accessible on the keypad through the MENU functions. For clarity and simplicity, the PIC is displayed on the backlit display at all times.

Can you use braid on the digitroll and will the stop work?

Braid is fully compatible with the Cannon DT5 & DT10 downriggers. Since both these unit are equipped with a digital counter, they are more akin to the old, reliable Penn downriggers in that they stop at zero. Both units have a WATER ZERO button on the keypad so you can set your stop position at anywhere you want and that's where she stops. Every time!

Do you have to have a Hummingbird fish finder to use the bottom track feature?

With the DT5 you must have a 'bird. The DT 10 is a stand-alone unit that requires a 'ducer (see above for link). The advantage to using a 'bird with the DT5 is the fact that you can operate your riggers remotely from the helm. In other words, with the push of a button on the 'bird, you can jig your riggers, bottom track or when you hook up on a fish you can hit the ALL UP button and all the riggers connected to the Cannon Link will return to the surface!

Can you hook a transducer direct to one rigger and bottom track?

You bet! Just plug the 'ducer into the DT10 and you're Bottom Tracking! You must set three parameters: MAX BOTTOM you wish to track, OFF BOTTOM, or the distance above or below the bottom (keeping in mind that blowback forces you at times to have more cable out than the water's depth) and SENSITIVITY or the amount that the depth is allowed to change before the 'rigger reacts. I set my SENSITIVITY to 3 feet and it works remarkably well in all conditions thumbup Here's a video that Robbo and I did showing Bottom Track in action!!! http://video.theoutdoorline.com/view_video.php?viewkey=455b3fa09a282e0d496f&page=1&viewtype=basic&category=mr

Can you hook two Cannon Digi -Troll Downriggers to one transducer and Bottom Track with both?

Absolutely YES! In fact, you can hook up to 6 Cannon Digi-Troll 10's to the same transducer! Talk about a fishing network!! cheers

Thanks for your questions and I hope you seriously consider Cannon Downriggers when your ready for a downrigger upgrade!!! thumbup thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Cannon questions

Postby king me » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Tom this question is for u. I have braid on my MAG10 stx and I have to hold the Switch in the UP position the whole time while retrieving the weight. Is that normal? I know I loose the Short Stop feature and of course there is no need for the Positive Ion Control while running braid but auto retrieve is really important to me. It's nice to have the ball come up by itself while fighting a fish
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 am

king me wrote: I have braid on my MAG10 stx and I have to hold the Switch in the UP position the whole time while retrieving the weight. Is that normal? I know I lose the Short Stop feature and of course there is no need for the Positive Ion Control while running braid but auto retrieve is really important to me. It's nice to have the ball come up by itself while fighting a fish

Hey KM,
While braid can and often is used with the Cannon Digi-Troll units, the Cannon Mag STX series has been designed from the ground up to function with stainless steel wire. The Positive Ion Control (imposed voltage on wire, a built-in "Black Box" if you will) feature is directly tied to Short Stop which slows and then stops the cannonball just above the surface.

Short Stop senses the "circuit" -between the stainless wire and the water- broken as the cannonball exits the water and Auto Up is shut off.

If the Cannon Mag STX unit does not sense the presence of wire grounded to the water, then the Auto UP function cannot be switched on. Since braid is electrically inert (non-conductive) it cannot carry the electrical "input" that the Cannon Mag STX units require for full functionality.

My advice: go back to wire or upgrade to the Digi-Troll series. If you PM me, I'll be happy to provide you with a spool of Cannon Camo cable pre-loaded on a spare spool to ease your transition back to wire thumbup

NELLY NOTE:
After posting the above info, Cannon Technical Service Supervisor Mark Blaschko sent me this note:

"Looks good Nelly. I would add the fact that there is a notice stated in the operators manual:"

NOTICE: Short stop and Positive Ion Control features do not function when spooled with monofilament or super lines or if the boat is not properly grounded.

Mark Blaschko
Technical Service Supervisor
Marine Electronics Group - a division of Johnson Outdoors Inc.
121 Power Drive
Mankato, MN 56001
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby king me » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks Nelly, I'll contact you thumbup
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby Jbarker482 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:53 pm

I have a question I was hoping you may could help answer? I have been reading alot about connecting a Humminbird 999CI HD SI and a Digi troll 5. I think I may be studying to late from what I am finding online, beings I have already purchased and installed the Cannons on the boat :oops: Is it true they do not work together? When I initially read this post I was thinking I would only need the 10's if I did not have a bird so beings I did I went ahead with the 5's can this be connected or am I at a loss?

I am very frustrated with Cannon and Humminbird there is not alot of good information on their site and I have had to spend hours trying to get to the bottom of what works together and what does not. You would think a company the size of Johnson and being made in the USA they would make it much easier to get information. There is not even simple how to installation videos for downriggers any where on YouTube. Kind of disappointing. I am sure they are the best at what the do, I would just like it to be easier to find any kind of information so I know how I can spend money with them and what works together and what does not.
Jbarker482
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:23 am

Hey J,
I've owned the DT 5's in the past and interfaced them with a CannonLink to a 'bird and it worked just fine. The issue is that this configuration was a bit cumbersome, not well accepted by the market and, unfortunately is no longer supported by Cannon.

To be clear, it is my understanding that the CannonLink interface module and proprietary connection cables are no longer available from the factory.

If the wonderful bottom tracking feature is what you're looking for, then here's what you need:
Cannon DigiTroll 10 http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/390763/Digi-Troll_10
DigiTroll Transducer http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/390742/Digi-Troll_Transducer
DigiTroll Relay Cableshttp://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/390741/Digi-Troll_IV_HS_Relay_Cable

There are some Cannon videos on this site and I'll look for a few more for you as well cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion