Cannon Downriggers VS Other Brands

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Cannon Downriggers VS Other Brands

Postby Nelly » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Here's an interesting question about Cannon and other downriggers and I thought I would post it here for readers of our Forum!

Tom,

I was hoping you could take some time out of your schedule to help me out.

Here in the PNW it seems Scotty downriggers rule the roost, and I've had difficulty finding somebody that can give me any sort of review on Cannon's line of electric DR. My father is looking to upgrade to a new boat and we both like Cannon's compact and clean look, but can't get an idea of how well they function in the PNW fisheries. Most sales people read right off the box when I ask them about Cannons, and then eagerly talk up the Scotty's like a seasoned pro. I'm really only getting half the story, nobody seems to have any real-time experience fishing over Cannons either.

If memory serves correctly, you're a Pro Staffer for Cannon. But with your considerable industry experience I figured you've had some time with Scotty units has well. I figured fisherman to fisherman, you could at least give me an idea of Cannon's pro/con, compared to Scotty's.

We've been using two 1106 Scotty's since my Dad purchased the boat in '05. We fish summer and fall in the sound, but take a few trips to Sekiu yearly and have traveled to Vancouver Island a couple times. The purchase of the new boat (24 NR Seahawk OS), expands our range and increases the amount of time we'll be fishing during the year. I like the features of the digi-troll models, I can see how they could produce more fish, but we don't have any interest in purchasing a hummingbird fish finder/transducer just to take advantage of them. That being said, the mag-10 stx would appear to fit the bill, but without any real time fishing experience it’s hard to break away from what we know in Scotty.

Your thoughts and insights on Cannon's DR would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time. Love the show, always have it on when we're fishing on Saturday mornings.

Regards,

Here's my response

Good morning!
You're right on the money with regard to local tackle retailers lack of Cannon product line knowledge. It's an issue that we are dealing with and while we are making progress, we still have a journey to get where Cannon needs to be in this market.

Scotty is a popular name with a good reputation but when you consider the features and value that Cannon offers...well, in my mind its really no contest.

Scotty requires you to buy an aftermarket "Black Box" to control the charge on the 'rigger wire to avoid repelling fish. Positive Ion Control is Cannon Downriggers answer to the same issue and it's built in to every Cannon electric downrigger at no additional cost to you.

Minn Kota is the undisputed "gold standard" in marine electronic motors and the new Cannon STX series features an electric motor that has Minn Kota's input and blessing. Incidentally, Cannon, Minn Kota and Humminbird are all part of the Johnson Outdoors fine line of products.
Johnson Outdoors proudly builds Cannon Downriggers right here in the USA and I am equally proud to be a Cannon Pro Staffer and fish the best downrigger ever made.

Thanks for listening and thanks for your question, Tom
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Cannon Downriggers VS Other Brands

Postby Ffej » Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I have fished with Scotty's the past ten years with no problems. Switched to braid line a few years ago, so no need for "positive ion control". So, paying much more for Cannon for a feature that is obsolete makes no sense in my view. Go with Scotty with Braid line.
Nelly will probably respond that he once fished braid versus wire, and wire did better. Don't share this opinion. Wire is much more difficult to handle - cut's your hands, kinks etc. so whatever brand you choose run braid.
Ffej
Pollywog

Postby king me » Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Dont mind if I do offer my opinion. I did run scotty DR's for a while and I agree with Tom that they in fact are a good product, BUT than I started really fishing and switched to CANNON. My fishing partners are my kids who are still young and when they were really little they could operate the cannons with no problem because of their electric up and down feature, which scotty doesnt offer (or didnt at the time and i dont know if they do now because I have never looked back) I run a 23 foot NR Commander which ways about 4500lbs fueled and those things have anchored it without bending the arms. The motors are strong and quiet are are used for many other applications in the industry (pot pullers). The body and spool are indestructible especially if you get the ST version. I kind of like the Cannons thumbup also as Tom said the Positive Ion Control is awesome. If you rig everything the way it should be rigged you will never have a voltage issue. tight lines and good luck with your new boat ( those things are cheers built like tanks) someday my Commander will grow up to be a seahawk o/s.
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby NWfishaman » Mon May 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Nelly, have you ever noticed any interference on your fish finder from the digi-troll 'ducer? I'm assuming you're running dt-10's.
NWfishaman
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue May 14, 2013 3:16 am

NWfishaman wrote:Nelly, have you ever noticed any interference on your fish finder from the digi-troll 'ducer? I'm assuming you're running Digi Troll 10's.

Your assumption is right on the money NWF!

Since most fishfinders ping at 50kHz and/or 200kHz, Cannon has wisely built it's downrigger transducers to operate at 120kHz.

Usually, visual interference occurs when two sounders are operating on the same boat at frequencies less than 50kHz apart.

In other words, if you were running a sounder at 83kHz and another separate unit at 50kHz, the potential for "crosstalk" or screen static would definitely be there!

The short answer to your question is no. Since my Lowrance unit pings at 50 & 200kHz, I have no issues with the Cannon Digitrol 10 transducer.,

Thanks for the good question! thumbup
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Eddy C » Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 am

I'm running Scottys and I'm tending them (going up and down) that's part of fishing. I'm considering getting a digi-troll since one of my scottys needs to be replaced.

When the digi-troll raises up you need to tend your rod no problem. What happens when it lowers? What keeps it from releasing? Are you running a loose drag?

Always looking for an easier softer way to put more fish in the box :D

This might call for a blog or a video eh Nelly?
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Wed May 15, 2013 9:49 am

Eddy C wrote:I'm running Scottys and I'm tending them (going up and down) that's part of fishing. I'm considering getting a Digi-Troll 10...

When the digi-troll raises up you need to tend your rod no problem. What happens when it lowers? What keeps it from releasing? Are you running a loose drag?

This might call for a blog or a video eh Nelly?

This is a question from a fisherman!!! Thinking about the physical effects of your gear!!!
Love it!

...and yes, this is a long overdue blog topic... Gonna get on that this afternoon!

Basically, I use very stiff Offshore Red Releases. They are an aggressive, double spring release that will overcome your reel's drag and pull line off of the reel when the downrigger is descending.

When the bottom tracking function of the Cannon DT 10 raises the ball, water friction on your main line keep the slack line to a minimum!

Ok... I've got a blog to write now!!! cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salmonhawk » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Ffej wrote:I have fished with Scotty's the past ten years with no problems. Switched to braid line a few years ago, so no need for "positive ion control". So, paying much more for Cannon for a feature that is obsolete makes no sense in my view. Go with Scotty with Braid line.
Nelly will probably respond that he once fished braid versus wire, and wire did better. Don't share this opinion. Wire is much more difficult to handle - cut's your hands, kinks etc. so whatever brand you choose run braid.

I like to run braid as well but still prefer the Cannons over the Scotty's. The ease of use, bottom track feature, ability to easily adjust speeds, better plugs, and a few other reasons are all part of why I will be running Cannons for years to come.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby baddawg » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 am

Gotta chime in here. I have been fishing with Scotty downriggers for years and frankly can't say a bad thing about them, they are reliable and get the job done. That being said, I fished with Nelly last year on his boat and had the chance to play with his Cannon downriggers and was very impressed! The bottom track was awesome, the motors are fast and they are fairly easy to use once you use it a bit.
Do I have Cannon's on my boat now, no I don't. I just can't justify the cost of replacing perfectly good down riggers. If I hit that $600,000,000.00 lottery tonight will my new boat have Cannon down riggers, you bet.
baddawg
Pollywog

Postby NWfishaman » Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Nelly wrote:...and yes, this is a long overdue blog topic... Gonna get on that this afternoon!

Ok... I've got a blog to write now!!! cheers

Nelly, I've been searching for this blog??? Whatcha been doin? Fishin or something? :D

The mag 10 stx's would get the job done, but all this talk of the digi-troll 10 has peaked my interest. I didn't hit the powerball lotto, so I'm hoping a blog might help crack the wallet open a bit further.
NWfishaman
Pollywog

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion