Disco Bay Derby

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Disco Bay Derby

Postby Spud » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 am

Love that name......Ok, now its the new Olympic Peninsula Salmon Derby but everyone still calls it Disco Bay.

Not many good fishing reports from the Port Townsend area these days. Mostly due to the fact of the miserable weather. This Derby weekend however the weather is looking up and the tides are reasonable.

Something in the 20 pound range would be nice !

The Fishtale 2 is loaded and ready to fish. .

Derby Channel is 68

See you on the water !

Spud
FISHTALE 2
PSA Sno-King
Spud
Pollywog

Re: Disco Bay Derby

Postby Brandon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Ill be there as well. I grew up in Townsend and still fish there a ton. There has been almost zero pressure on midchannel so far. Fishing was dead slow when it opened but its starting to pick up a tad in my opinion. Its seems like every year theres a few hogs pulled out of there. Im gonna pre fish tomorrow, midchannel/craven/lip lip...ill let you guys know how it goes. It would be nice to see the weather lay down to get out to the banks.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby WaveDancer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:16 pm

I think they should just have re-named it the DISCO DERBY as everyone calls it that anyways.

We got the fourth place salmon three years ago fishing out on Hein Bank, great day on the water, always use FRESH bait if available. ;) ;) ;)

With the even larger area this year you may see a couple huge hogs like that 28 pounder that was caught at the Roche Harbor Derby a couple of weeks ago.

Current weather forecast looks great for Sunday if you want to fish out on the banks, Saturday may be pretty lumpy.

Everyone going, have fun and be safe!

WD.
If sportfisherman unite, and act as one, we can achieve anything we want, our numbers are to great to ignore! Join CCA http://www.ccapnw.org
WaveDancer
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 pm

I wish we could be out there fishing with you guys, this derby is going to be a fun one. If anyone gets any fish while wwe are still on the air make sure you call in and give us a report. 866-979-3776
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

What a flat calm and sunny day they have to pre-fish today!!!
I'm hitting the Disco Derby next year fo sho!
In fact, I talked to just talked with Derby organizer Dan Tatum and The Outdoor Line might just be broadcasting live from the Olympic Penninsula next February.

Dan also mentioned that they have sold almost 1000 tickets for this years derby which is an event record!

Here's hoping the forecast winds don't materialize and the guys get a decent weekend on the Straits!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Brandon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:46 am

Update from disco derby. They just ramped it up to a gale warning. I wish i could post pics from my cell phone of some of these waves. Not to many boats out. Havent heard of any fish at all.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Salmonhawk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Brandon wrote:Update from disco derby. They just ramped it up to a gale warning. I wish i could post pics from my cell phone of some of these waves. Not to many boats out. Havent heard of any fish at all.

Tough going today, hopefully these next two days will lay down and lot's of fish will get caught.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Brandon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Just got home from Day 1. It was crazy out there!! 4-6 foot chop all morning and fished through a gale warning.
We tried hiding from the wind and tucked behind Marrowstone but that wasnt much better. Took over over an hour just to make it back to Townsend. When we got back Mid Channel looked like it was startin to lay down so we gave it a shot and wacked a 11.50 that put me in third.
With better weather the next 2 days im sure ill get kicked but givin the weather I was stoked to get a fish today.
The derby dude said only 3 fish where weighed at Townsend and the other 77 where weighed out at PA. Heard they had better weather. Back at it in the morning. I got some crazy pics of waves from today ill have to post when im done.

Heres the link for the ladder:

http://gardinersalmonderby.org/results/
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Robbo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Solid work today Brandon. :D Some other buddies put 3 in the boat at Freshwater Bay, but nothing over 9 pounds. Hope you tear'em up the next couple days :!: :!:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Great work Brandon!
Thanks for the leaderboard link and congratulations on your third place fish! The forecast looks like its laying down a little bit, but not flat calm by any means!
Looking forward to seeing your pics and GOOD LUCK tomorrow!!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion