Early 2011 salmon forecast: Looking good!!!

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Early 2011 salmon forecast: Looking good!!!

Postby Nelly » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 am

We're still a few weeks from the release of the actual forecasts that fisheries managers utilize to craft our annual salmon fishing seasons, but the early outlook points to decent opportunities!

"In general, the predicted coho returns will be good for the coastal areas as well as Puget Sound," said Doug Milward, a state Fish and Wildlife coastal-salmon manager. "It will not be a stellar year for ocean coho.

Check out Seattle Times Mark Yuasa's Early forecast blog for the rest of the early look!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Early 2011 salmon forecast: Looking good!!!

Postby Salmonhawk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 am

You beat me to it Nelly, I just got done reading the article myself and yes, I'm a little fired up to see that coho forecast improving. Let's hope we get that early June opener for kings in Westport.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 am

I'm just trying to stay one post ahead of you.... :o
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Mystical Legends » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:13 am

While the Sound Coho fishing sucked our coastal Coho fishing was pretty good and better than most of us anticapated. I hope that we have as good of a year on our coast as we had last year. The last chrome hatchery Coho I saw was January 23rd and it was ocean fresh. I heard of a couple after that but did not see them. Let's hope the fall Kings in the Columbia and tribs. shape up to be as good as last year with a few more big boys around to make things interesting. COME ON 700,000 :shock:

Man, I hope the Sound can't get any worse for Coho than last year...pretty dang sad.
Mystical Legends
Pollywog

Postby Jerm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 pm

I think the odd run of coho bites a little better than the even. Maybe it's the huge numbers of pinks in the sound and rivers that get the coho fired up.

The last two even runs have been not very good for me in the sound but did get a few. But last year a buddy took me to the Satsop and Hump, landed a ton of coho and some of the biggest i've hooked.

I'm really hoping that the Area 9 selective Chinook fishery is as good as it was last year.
Jerm
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

That coastal coho run was amazing last year. some guys were reporting up to fish fish caught and released, anything close to that will be fine by me.

Area 9 was phenominal for kings last year. I can't imagine that it will be that good again but here's to hope.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion