Opinion on Downrigger Weights

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Opinion on Downrigger Weights

Postby Rock » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 am

I have talked to a few folks about discus(flat) downrigger weights and I am thinking about considering to pick up two for the boat to go after those delicious treats of the deep(salmon). They seem to be like a smooth deal and would like to hear what others have to say about this option.

I know opinions are like a**ho**s and everyone has at least a couple so feel free to express yours here.

Thanks All
rockon
Rock
Pecker Trout

Re: Opinion on Downrigger Weights

Postby Nelly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 am

Hey Rock,
I like the discs, "pancakes" or "pathfinders" for the middle downrigger.
If I'm tracking bottom, the round Cannonballs -with small molded in fins- seem to behave much better that the discs.

Pancake weight advocates will argue that the sleek profile "cuts through the water" with less drag that the round balls.
That statement would be true if the pancakes remained perfectly parallel with the intended trolling path...Believe me, they don't...

The indisputable physical fact is that ALL DOWNRIGGER WEIGHTS TURN or "oscillate" as they travel through the water.
Since the pancake has a larger side profile than the ball, as the pancake turns, it generates more drag overall than the ball.

Remember from your high school geometry that, given a specific mass, a sphere has less surface area than any other geometric shape. Less surface area amounts in this case to less drag overall.

That being said, the pancakes ability to "plane" or generate large wire angles has it's advantages for the middle downrigger.
Allowing the middle rigger to swing around and "search" the water column has produced the largest chinook in my boat year after year...
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Opinion on Downrigger Weights

Postby Rock » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Well very interesting. I think instead of going with the pancake downrigger weights, maybe going a size up might be what I am looking for.

I do not have a third (middle) downrigger to try that out but maybe someday I might get another rigger to try it out.

Thanks for those opinions and the geometry lesson.
Rock
Rock
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion