Duckworth Offshore series

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Duckworth Offshore series

Postby kurtmiller » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm considering one of these as my "dream" boat, either 24 or 26 foot. Anyone here own one and if so what do you like and not like about it. Appreciate any input.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Re: Duckworth Offshore series

Postby Robbo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Check out Weldcraft too Kurt. Renaissance Marine builds both of them. Very good boats!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby kurtmiller » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks. BTW really great show this morning... I've fished with Nick before when my Calif cousin was up here and refused to have me take him on my boat, wanted to pay for a charter so I could just fish and relax. What he didn't understand was that I am relaxed in my boat, and we had been slaying the Humpies for several weeks before he came up. But Nick's a good fisherman and knows his stuff, we limited 2 days in a row for him, me and 2 fishin buddies, so he got 32 fish to take home. Surprised Nick shared so many details this morning, first ran into him up in the Bubble a few years back when he and I were the only ones catching any. I did get a ride on a 24 foot Duckworth and it rode like a dream (love those marine seats) but was a bit underpowered with a 250 (Yamaha I think). I was thinking a couple 150 Hondas would do it well. Will checkout the Weldcraft. I'll be working the Seattle Boatshow for PSA SnoKing on Saturday afternoon so will be there early to check 'em all out. Tom will see you Thursday nite.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Nick is a class act and one helluva saltwater fisherman. Very few people on the sound with the knowledge that he and Gary Krein possess. The Ducks and Weldcraft's have a hull under them that's very close to my North River and while I haven't ridden in one of them yet, I can guarantee they are a great riding boat. I'd personally go with twin Yamaha 150's or Merc Verado 150's, but that's just me. I've worked around a lot of charter boats with that package and they have great "pop" and are very reliable. Depending on when our bambino shows up I may see you at the boat show...she's due January 28th :D
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:54 pm

You bet KM!
Looking forward to the SnoKing meeting Thursday! Great location and a class act,,, until I show up that is... :roll:

Nick did a great job on air today and he is always willing to share and teach. In my opinion he is one of the best on the bay!

Robbo is right on the money with the Weldcraft call. Check them out at Master Marine! The Duckworth's are great boats as well with a thoughtful, useful fishing layout and enough reverse chine to soften the ride.

Stabicraft http://www.stabicraft.com/Default.aspx will be at the Seattle Boat Show and there is not a safer, more stable,softer riding hull this side of a catamaran.

Where I may disagree with Robbo is on power. Take a close look at the Evinrude E-Tec. Their fuel injected 2-strokes have a higher power to weight ratio than their 4-stroke bretheren and have far less scheduled maintenance as well.

Whichever direction you go, I can promise you that you'll have a ball shopping at the Seattle Boat Show! gears
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby kurtmiller » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm

BTW Robbo... you ARE gonna be a new dad soon... you gotta get a more fatherly profile picture. I did check out the Weldcraft, I think it was called Cuddy King, looks like a twin to the Duckworth Offshore. What are the differences, if any?
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:00 pm

What can I say...I'm stuck in the 80's Kurt :lol:

Okay, okay! I'll change my pic to something a little more fatherly as soon as I can toetap

The Cuddy King is the Weldcraft model you want to take a look at. According to my sources they both come out of the same factory. Any difference between the two boats would probably be in the standard options and layout. I've heard nothing but good things about how these boats ride.

Best of luck to you Kurt! Boat shopping is FUN thumbup
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Dan Carney » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:03 am

How would you compare those two to an equivalent Hewescraft?
I have considered upgrading to a 20' Pro-V or Searunner.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:31 pm

The best way to answer that Dan is to take a look at both of them starting later this month at the Seattle Boat Show.
Of the hulls you mentioned only Weldcraft and the Duckworth have a significant amount of reverse chine.

Boats with a soft chine (without a flat or reverse) tend to roll in the trough of a swell and pound much harder in a head sea.

When you're at the Seattle Boat Show, you have a golden opportunity to look at a variety of boats out of the water and see what the water "sees" when it encounters the hull.
Stand head on and look from the bow down to the waterline and the chines.... This is where the aquatic "Rubber meets the road".

You'll know a reverse chine when you see it as the hull sides cants back up before continuing down to the keel. Think about the effect this complex shape has on water slipping up the hull: Reverse chine provides lift and a resistance to rolling. In other words, it makes the boat much more seaworthy and comfortable. The bottom line is that I would not own a boat without this vital design characteristic!

Take pictures with your cell phone of several hulls and compare...Does the riding surface of the hull join the bow and chines gracefully? With an aluminum boat, are the welds smooth and consistent? If fiberglass, are there any unexplained hollows in the shape or pits & cracks in the gel coat?

The best way to determine the ideal boat? Take them for a ride! The Seattle Boat Show is your golden opportunity to take a bunch of test drives!

Whatever you do... Try it before you buy it!!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum