Fishing a sled out of Westport

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Fishing a sled out of Westport

Postby Nelly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 am

I recently recieved this in my website inbox and thought we could all benefit by talking about this safety topic! 8-)

Hey Nelly,

Recently listened to the podcast regarding Westport. I have been across the bar there once on a PSA friend’s boat during a bathtub day earlier this July. I am currently doing my homework for my own trip across the bar at Westport in my own boat, which happens to be a 21’ Wooldridge Super Sport Drifter. This is why my questions are for you since you know the SSD rather well. Mine is the forward helm windshield model, canvas, 200 ETec, 9.9 Yami, 2 elec downriggers, dual gps & sonars, 1xVHF, flares, etc. Runs me great up and down the Cowlitz and south sound, but “The Bar” can be intimidating for a newbie in what really amounts to a sled.

My homework shows good weather for Aug 4-5, swells that are predicted to be only 1.5ft at 16 seconds, and fish that are being caught. This is what makes it appealing. I have read the articles on times to cross and the rule of 12’s so a 5-6am crossing followed by a noon return looks to be good. The unknown part is how my SSD with a jet and only 10deg deadrise will handle swells, chop and waves across the bar (inbound and outbound). As a former SSD owner, can I get your input as to weather the 21’ Wooldridge windshield model SSD across the bar and in the ocean is just a plain bad idea?

Again, I am doing homework only and not committed to going yet. Just seeking your input.

Thanks much.

PS. the boat I am referring to is shown in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=411

Michael Bartoldo

Hey Mike,
The fact that you are taking the time to think about the trip and ask a couple questions regarding the bar crossing is proof to me that you are taking the right approach.

Most often boaters find trouble crossing the bar due to:

-Boats with questionable power/not maintained
-Boats that are unfamiliar to the operator.
-Individuals who do not check the weather/forecast.
-Inexperienced boaters who overload their vessels with passengers & gear.
-Unseaworthy boats not up to the rigors of open ocean fishing.

You have a fairly new boat which is well built, well maintained and you have experience running your boat and electronics in several different weather/water conditions. Even though it is a sled, if you watch the weather -as you have been- and don't cross the bar during peak ebb currents you will enjoy a safe and productive day on the water.
While the Wooldridge Super Sport Drifter would not be my first choice for a ocean trip, it will be more than adequate to the task.

Your choice of a hull has been for a compromise "do it all" hull. Your boat excells on the rivers and in the lakes, handles Puget Sound with ease and will safely get you out and back on a good weather day on the ocean.

It sure sounds like you made the right choice to me and good luck in Westport! :D
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Wooldridge SSD and Westport

Postby Tally Ho » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Nelly,

Thanks for the input. A few more days of work on base and I think I'll be towing it over to Westport....as long as the swell forcast stays the way it is....WOW! Aug 4th shows 1.5ft at 17 seconds.

The next task is to dig up some intel on where the fish might be holding and how far out to get them. I don't want to be travelling super far in an SSD. Any birds in your intel network chirping to you about where the fish are this week?
Tally Ho
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm

I agree, the key is doing your homework and waiting for the right conditions. Most of my bar crossings have been a piece of cake due to the fact that I just wiat for comfortable conditions. Good luck and I hear that they are finding fish in 200 feet of water all the way down to Willipa.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Tally Ho » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Homework paid off! :D

Here is a little video showing some of the fruits of my labor….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLOIL1tdok
Tally Ho
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I can't view the video, try loading it on the Outdoor Line video page.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Tally Ho » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Here is another attempt using a different host. I tried the upload to outdoor line video page w/ the html but it keeps kicking it back.

http://home.comcast.net/~mbartoldo/Westport%20Salmon%202011.mov
Tally Ho
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum