Electronics Question(s)

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: Electronics Question(s)

Postby Dan Carney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm

I guess I was thinking of Shoot-through-hull units. anyway, what about Elite-5 DSI vs. HDS-5?
Thx.
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Elite-5 DSI vs. HDS-5?
It all depends on where and what you want to do with your unit. If you are exclusively a lake or river angler and need Down Scan Imaging to locate fish hugging structure under your boat then the Elite-5 DSI.
If you fish big water and need a GPS Chartplotter and expandability then the HDS-5 with it's Ethernet port and Navionics card slot would be the unit for you.
Both units offer good sonar output power with Max power at 4000W and Peak to Peak (500W RMS)

To put it simply:
Saltwater: HDS-5
Freshwater: Elite-5 DSI
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Dan Carney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:48 pm

The Elite-5 DSI is the new unit that has GPS/chartplotter and down scan imaging that as best as I can tell is one module from the Structure Scan unit that goes with the HDS units. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have sidescan. The Elite-5 DSI is about $50-100 cheaper than the HDS-5 and add another $599 for structure scan unit.

I have a 16' aluminum console boat that I use to fish local lakes, lower Skagit River, Snake and Columbia Rivers, and locally in the sound.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm

You're correct Dan, The DSI stands for Down Scan Imaging and it features Dual-selectable 455/800kHz coverage offers two viewing options; 455kHz sounding for wider and deeper coverage with 800kHz for enhanced targeted viewing.

The HDS-5 is a more traditional sonar with a GPS chartplotter that has Ethernet capability.

You can't go wrong with either unit but if you wish to expand your units capabilities with radar, Structure Scan, Sirius satellite weather, music and other sounders on your boat, then the HDS is the way to go.
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby LisaMarie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am

I'm going to start the processes of upgrading my electronics. My question is, is there any difference in where I purchase my equipment? Warranty wise I doubt it makes a difference. I tend to like to support local businesses, I dont even mind paying a little more then what the big stores charge (Cabela's Etc...). I'm going with HDS5 and the LSS module, and likely a through hull TD. Any recommendations on where I should go and why?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey LM!
Yeah, you could purchase from some internet or mail order source and save a couple bucks but in my opinion it's false economy.

If you get your unit from an Outdoor Emporium/Sportco or Harbor Marine, you have a LOCAL resource for service, repair, advice and warranty support.

To give you an example, let's say that you get a unit that has an issue. It's working ok and then in the middle of a wide open chinook bite on Possession in July your screen goes blank!
Chances are it's a software glitch but since you bought it locally you can walk the unit into Outdoor Emporium and walk out ready to go fishing!

If you buy on line or through the mail... you can mail your unit off.. and wait...

Now hopefully, that situation never happens to you as it has happened to me with an off-brand sounder.

Our whack'em and stack'em seasons are too short to miss time waiting for your repaired electronics to arrive in the mail.

Buy local, support our remaining outdoor merchants! The tackleshop you save may be your own!!! :o
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Previous

Return to Boat Owners Forum