Trailer Wiring Is It So Hard????

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Trailer Wiring Is It So Hard????

Postby Jeff Nance » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 pm

I am okay at DIY projects....sometimes it comes down to not enough time in the day to do everything, so I hire professionals to do the work. (So I think :o )...I can't tell you how disappointed I am with some of the trailer shops I have worked with. I have paid twice to have my trailer rewired in the last 2 yrs...both times I asked for them to not use waterproof connectors like these.
Trailer Wire Connectors.jpg
Trailer Wire Connectors.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
thumbdown these connectors suck!!!

I ended up tearing into my harness this weekend after lights went out again, and found not one but two of these connectors in line for my side marker lights. When I was in the CG I learned a tip from an old salty MK engineer...he used silicone with his connectors...we never had issues with corrosion. The below photo is an example...I used heat shrink connectors along with the silicone. The key is to pack it in tight so no air/water can get in. I did this on my last trailer and it went 5 + years with no failures. I guess the old theory if you want it done right, DIY. Hopefully I will not be dealing with this again for awhile...if so I just might go to blows with myself. boxing
Attachments
Connector.jpg
Connector.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Re: Trailer Wiring Is It So Hard????

Postby Nelly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:00 am

That is a great tip Jeff!
I think of several places the "salty silicone shrink" could be used in wet deck locations on any boat! thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Trailer Wiring Is It So Hard????

Postby Jeff Nance » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 am

After chatting with my uncle who is a plumber he suggested these connectors he uses for sprinkler systems. The connector has silicone in there already!
http://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/produ ... ectors.htm
Attachments
Waterproof Connector.png
Waterproof Connector.png (40.93 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Return to Boat Owners Forum