So many choices- need help!

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

So many choices- need help!

Postby seattle fish » Fri May 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I will mostly cruise san Juan and gulf islands (comfort is nice as is some fishing! Looking for used (close to new). A couples cruiser and a marine head and a comfortable V-birth! Budget under a 100K 9hoping to find a new used boat pretty loaded :).. Prefer twin outboards!!! The boat has to be a comfortable cruisers for two as we will be staying in local marinas! First question- Aluminum over Fiberglass- need pro's and cons please! Boat must have a pilot house! A must! Boats in question would be Raider, Lund, C-dory (25), Skagit Orca, An east coat boat that has caught my attention is a Rosbourough 246 (east coat boat with a few out here in the PNW! PRO'S & CONS ARE SO GREATLY DESIRED! THANK YOU GREATLY! Mike!
seattle fish
Pollywog

Re: So many choices- need help!

Postby Eddy C » Sat May 24, 2014 5:24 am

North River, Duckworth, Weldcraft..............

Lund is the third leading cause of death in Alaska right behind alcohol and drugs!
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby seattle fish » Sat May 24, 2014 10:10 am

Wow! Thanks for that input. Had no idea regarding Lund boats. I was misled to believe they were built strong with a life time hull warranty! Keep in mind I am only exploring aluminum over FG hulls. I am really in love with the pilot house Skagit Orca, C Dory and an east coast boat not popular here in the PNW called Rosborough. I met one last year at Friday Harbor and was really in love! It was a R256! I really want a 26 foot boat with some cruise comfort for a couple with some occasional fishing. My longest trip would be the inside passage. A pilot house is a MUST!!!! A friend took me on his Raider which I was in love with as well. Another friend at the local yacht club has an older Boston whaler with twin 225 merc's believe it was an older version (perhaps a 24-26 pilot house).. New models are now 28 feet and priced at 200K is out of my budget! The ability to keep the boat based out of a marina May through October is appealing as is the ability to trailer it home off season! Hope you see why I am somewhat overwhelmed with so many choices! The Raider is the only aluminum boat I cruised and fished for 7 - 10 days and have no experience with aluminum boats! More input on boats with pro's and cons would be appreciative- Thinking the Lund is out! Thanks a bunch! Mike!
seattle fish
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sun May 25, 2014 6:00 am

Knowing what your price point is would help also. Thanks aluminum boats are great but they tend to be a little cold. In a glass hull you might also look at the Defiance line. The San Juan might fit what your looking for in a cruisercruiser/fisher. Lots of great boats to choose from though.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby seattle fish » Thu May 29, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks Robo!

I cruise Seattle, San Juan Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands and might even venture to Alaska (perhaps towing boat). I cruise as a couple with those rare times I take a few buddies out day fishing!
Price range is under 100K so I would be looking for a nearly new used boat where PO put out the money upgrading. Would love to get one for 75K so I could put money into it making my upgrades!

Here are musts and I mean Musts if I am going to keep my wife cruising! 1) Pilot house is a MUST 2) Marine Head (I can upgrade to a fresh water head which is also a MUST) 3) 6 foot v Berth (I can upgrade mattresses) 4) port side cruising companion seat 5) small workable galley 7) Hot pressurized water 8) 9) Shore power as we spend evenings at the marina and only boat during day light... My preference is twin 4 stroke outboards - partial to Suzuki and Yamaha! I am also willing to give up a little cockpit space for extended cabin space (not tooooo much)...
I looked at a Skagit 26 - believe foam cell cored and stronger then a C dory- also believe same company??
Not opposed to aluminum boats but they are foreign to me so would like input!
Again, Thanks Mike!
seattle fish
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum