Prop Discussion

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Prop Discussion

Postby Saharit » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with some of the new props that are hitting the market that claim better speed and fuel efficiency.

I am running 2009 Mercury 250 Verados with Enertia props. If the article referenced below is true, it sounds like there could be upside in upgrading but is it worth $800 per prop? Yikes!

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/M ... a-ECO_2014

-Troy
Four Reel II
Saharit
Pollywog

Re: Prop Discussion

Postby Nelly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Interesting concept but I've been running the Evinrude REBEL TBX for about five years now with solid performance & fuel efficiency.
This wheel is specifically designed & engineered for efficient mid-range cruising, along with improved fuel economy with longer cruising range.

I sincerely believe that if you're running a stainless prop that's clean and pitched correctly for your hull, then you are doing pretty well on the efficiency front.

The prop diameter concept is interesting though. With outboards in particular, you are fairly limited to what will comfortably clear the cavitation plate. cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Prop Discussion

Postby Saharit » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Did the math and it all points to making a change to the prop when necessary…although hoping the boat will not need new props any time soon given the expenditure! ;)

Looking forward to the Anacortes Derby. If NOAA Marine Forecast is correct looks like a nice SE wind 15 to 25 kt with a 60% chance of rain. See you guys up there!

-Troy
Four Reel II
Saharit
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum