Electronics advice

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: Electronics advice

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 am

I have a split reaction to your post Danno. thumbdown thumbup spy

First, you're on the money with one transducer networking through the Lowrance Ethernet to a second display. It's a great feature that allows you complete control of your sonar from either unit.

However, I do have an issue with "used" electronics for a couple of reasons.

First, the best way to kill electronics is to supply them with a weak electrical system. Varying voltage, particularly while starting the main engine will drastically shorten the life of your valuable unit. Since you have no control of the used electronics previous installation or use, you really cannot count on that gear to navigate you home.

In addition, if you do have a failure, Murphy's Law dictates that it will happen on the very best day of fishing, during the peak summer season.

If you've purchased the unit from a local retailer, chances are that you'll get immediate help.

However, your on line purchase? Well, chances are that you're flat put of luck with no product support at all.

This is a case of penny wise and pound foolish. I understand saving a buck but if you buy local, you have help locally.

Hope that helps and good luck! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Dan Carney » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:50 am

Nelly,
You bring up a curious point I hadn't heard before. Are you stating that you should turn off your electronics when starting the engine? I have seen some units that turn themselves off if voltage gets to low when starting - is this a protective feature? What's your take...
Thx.
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Considering the cost of electronics, the cost of a second battery and a add a battery kit (battery selector and ACR) are cheap insurance. We use a dual battery system on one boat and a three battery set up on the other boat. We added a back up gps unit last year to both boats by just buying an extra installation kit and swapping the spare between the two boats. The down side was that the back up unit was NEMA 2000 so we could add fuel monitoring. We are so impressed with the advances with the new unit we wish it was another another large screen. We also have a hand held for back up, I'd hate to have to run back in with no electronics anymore.

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby JAKE MOORE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:45 pm

My personal choice would be to mount a unit near your kicker or if you have a top, under it within view of your fishing area. Then I would make use of the Go Free wireless option for using the unit with an ipad and "ram" mount it to my helm.
I have a live demo of my unit at the shop set up with one of my chips downloaded into it so if you want to see how it works swing by Harbor Marine on the Everett waterfront! You will also be able to see how my (DeLorme) InReach sat phone/emergency beacon and G2 vision maps work in real life!
Jake Moore
Harbor Marine bait and tackle
1032 West Marine View Dr
Everett WA
Here fishy fishy fishy!
JAKE MOORE
Pollywog

Previous

Return to Boat Owners Forum