Trolling with a Stand Alone Kicker

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Trolling with a Stand Alone Kicker

Postby spencerw » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:39 am

Tom-

Hope you're well and off to a good weekend. Quick question that I figured you could surely answer better than anyone. I just had a Merc Pro Kicker installed on my 190 BW Montauk (yes I know you love fiberglass boats :) ). Anyhow, I also had a wireless steering system installed that came with a fixed mounted switch and a wireless fob.

My previous 2 boats were I/O's and I used the Easy-Steer system. This is my first stand alone trolling motor and my question is: when I'm trolling, should I pull the big engine (Verado 150) out of the water for steering efficiency and functionality purposes?................. or keep in in the water and assume it in a straight position? Not sure if this is suppose to be a no brainer or not............ but I wanted to get the best production out of my new setup.

Thanks for your contribution and cheers!

And lastly, GO COUGS!

Woods
Woods
Edgewood, WA
spencerw
Pollywog

Re: Trolling with a Stand Alone Kicker

Postby Nelly » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 pm

My advice would be to leave the main engine down and here's why:

Speed control is always a challenge when trolling for salmon. By keeping the main engine down, the kicker has to work just a bit harder which is a good thing. You can always speed that trolling motor up but sometimes getting your kicker slowed down to that perfect speed is tough. The drag provided by the main will help with that fine speed control.

Steering control is also helped by keeping the main engine in the water. Often when trolling cross winds or current, a half turn of the wheel can make a huge difference.

Finally, when you get a big fish on and less experienced anglers on board, its sure nice to not have sharp propeller blades and engine edges out of the water, waiting to cut that big fish free!

My new boat turns the mains and the kicker in unison and it holds a course like its on a railway track. I keep the engines down and it works like a charm! While writing this, I can't really come up with a single advantage to tilting your main engine while trolling.... rockon

Just where do you want the Cougs to go? Certainly not back to the New Mexico Bowl... rofl

Go DaWgs...and Go HAWKS!!! gears
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum