Inverter/Chargers: A New Item On Your Boat Show List!

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Inverter/Chargers: A New Item On Your Boat Show List!

Postby Nelly » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 pm

When you get right down to it, there are only a couple things you can absolutely control on your boat: One, the amount of fuel you have on board and two, the health of your batteries.

For the former, I’m a habitual tank “topper”. for the latter, I’ve always been a big proponent of on-board battery chargers. thumbup

Now, I'm re-thinking or, more correctly... "Inverting" My Electrical Thinking
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Inverter/Chargers: A New Item On Your Boat Show List!

Postby trophymac » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Great info Nelly, now I will have to bring the wife and see the Great White at the boat show.
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby Hawke » Sat May 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Nelly,

The inverter/charger is nice. I have a 2000w magnum inverter/hi speed charger. My wife has a tv/dvd player, shower, microwave, heat pump, etc. on our 2901 striper. It's the same boat as the salmon hawk but with the full cabin. I also have the 5000w generator hooked up to the inverter through the control panel. When shore power is disconnected the house battery bank starts inverting, when the generator is fired up and the breakers thrown the house batteries start charging and the boat runs off the generator. I have friends that bring a 2000w Honda generator on their fishing trips. This generator has a 240v output so they can plug their shore power up to it and recharge if the house batteries get to low. When the motors are idling at 600 rpm the house batteries sometimes drain faster than the alternator recharges them.

regards,

Hawke
Hawke
Pollywog

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Sat May 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks for the information. I need to add a battery monitor to my 3 battery system, what kind of monitor are you using?

Thanks Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby Hawke » Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm

I have the Magnum fast charge/ 2000w inverter and it has a digital display control panel to monitor everything.
Hawke
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 am

onwhiskeycreek wrote:Thanks for the information. I need to add a battery monitor to my 3 battery system, what kind of monitor are you using?

Thanks Gary

Yeah, what Hawke said! If you look through the blog that's linked to the start of this thread you'll see the battery monitor that is part of the system.

A battery monitor/display was included with my Xantrex inverter/charger.
However, If you're not going that way, I'm sure that Blue Sea Systems will have you covered.

Good luck out there! cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby salmonhunter1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:57 pm

I am also wanting to put an inventor on my boat, for my margarita maker and coffee in the morning. Ive been thinking about 2k unit just in case I want to add things later on.
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:36 pm

The Xantrex inverter/charger has been trouble free for me and I love the smell of a fresh cup o'koureg in the morning!
I also love a trouble free electrical system thumbup
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum