Finally Gots Me a New (to me) Boat

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Finally Gots Me a New (to me) Boat

Postby t_dub » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:59 pm

sold my 17' Weldcraft last October and have been looking since. Finally on Saturday did the 600 mile round trip down into Oregon to bring this back. It's a 2005, but the people pretty much only used it for trout fishing. The main's only got 67 hrs on it! It's got some dock rash near the stern on the starboard side (just messed up the vinyl graphic) and needs a good head-to-toe scrubbing, otherwise, it's in great shape. I'm stoked to have something to hit the Sound with and not have to worry about wind waves > 1ft. Really excited to have an offshore bracket. It's crazy how much more fishing room it gives you. Time to gear up and go refill the freezer!
Attachments
boat2.jpg
boat2.jpg (115.43 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
boat.jpg
boat.jpg (110.18 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Re: Finally Gots Me a New (to me) Boat

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Nice Ride T-DUB!!!

A bracketed outboard layout has the most room you can possibly get in a big water boat!

I see it sports Cannon Downrigger swivel bases which is an excellent choice and I'm wondering what kind of electronics and other goodies you'll be putting on her?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby t_dub » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

it's got just a little Lowrance fishfinder currently which I'm going to upgrade to an HDS-5 or 7. had the 5 on my last boat and absolutely love the HDS system. wish i would have kept the old fishfinder i had on that and swapped it out before i sold it, but oh well! would like to get the 7, but that sucker is like $400 more than the 5. compared both at west marine yesterday and the screen on that 7 is just so much bigger. so who knows, but for sure it will be an HDS. as far as other goodies, i'll probably just slowly add during the spring and summer. gotta recover from what the State of Washington's going to take out of my now severely depleted savings account when i go to title the thing. hard to believe, you know, us fat cat public employees
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Congrats on the new boat, very nice! Now go get some blood on it :D
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 am

I'm surprised that Tobeck didn't tell you to insure your boat with him!!! :o (Actually, I did and saved money doing it! :shock: )

I would take a look at the HDS 8 as well. When you consider the time you spend looking at the screen, bigger is definitely better and increased visibility of your sounder from the back of the boat is a HUGE advantage!

Speaking of the back of the boat, have you considered slapping your old sounder on a RAM Mount and putting it by your kicker?
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:24 am

I concur with Nelly on having a Sonar Unit at the back of the boat. I just finished moving my old LCX-16ci to the back window...I tell you want it's going to be sweet to see the depth and downriggers without having to look thru the cabin or ask whoevers driving the boat everytime you want to make a change...
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby t_dub » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 am

Hmmmm, had not thought of that. Sounds good to me! And yeah, an HDS 8 would be awesome, just that $1600 pricetage is a little steep, especially since i've got to add trailer brakes (i guess Oregon doesn't require them on that size trailer). Seeing as how i've got about zero experience with brakes, let alone installing them, I'll need to have someone do it. Any suggestions??? As far as Tobeck, I actually did submit an online request for a quote yesterday afternoon; still waiting for a reply??????
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 am

We are working on that quote right now, I'll be calling.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:59 am

Try Everett Brake Supply at 2222 37th St, Everett, WA 9820, just off Broadway. Or, Six Robblees close by! You might as well change all your wheel bearings while your tearing into that trailer.

You will love having a second sounder and its a great backup should you need it! You'll be hearing from Tobeck on the coverage soon!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby t_dub » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 am

thanks Nelly. Heading into Everett this afternoon anyway to pick up some safety equipment for the boat, so I'll check them out.

Thanks Rob!
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Next

Return to Boat Owners Forum