Choosing Between Hull Brands

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Choosing Between Hull Brands

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:37 pm

From the "email files"...

Hi Tom,

My name is ...... and I was hoping to get your opinion.
I was looking at the 25 ft Kingfisher and the 25ft Stabicraft Pilothouse to buy.

I like them both. I get seasick easy. Do you think they are about the same in stability?

Thanks, ......

Good afternoon,
This would have been a great question for our Forums and with your permission, I'll post it here http://www.theoutdoorline.com/forum/
We even have a Boat Owners Forums and often discuss design and brands.

I've been running Stabicrafts for a decade now and the reason they ride so soft is because of one design characteristic and that's Reverse Chine.
Reverse chines also arrest a hulls "rolling moment" or tendency to have a pronounced side to side rotation, which amounts to enhanced stability.
While Kingfisher has a small step chine, it's not nearly enough to provide the lift and stability that a Stabi or a Weldcraft will afford you.

It's interesting that you're comparing a New Zealand hull (Stabi) with a Canadian hull. My next boat will be a Weldcraft built right here in Washington State.

I'm making the move in brands to take advantage of the increased room in the Weldcraft since there are no flotation chamber which cost you fishing width.
It's also going to be nice working with local company. I'm still fond of Stabicraft and they are great boats but before you buy, you owe it to yourself to test drive a Weldcraft.

Good luck and good hull hunting, Tom
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum