Lowrance issue question

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Lowrance issue question

Postby eenakok » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:35 pm

I have a Lowrance HDS 8 Gen2. I was out on the sound yesterday and everything was running fine. I ran from Shilshole to Shipwreck and the sonar was working great. I got to Shipwreck and the sonar stopped working. It showed a zero depth and the screen just went blank. The GPS was working just fine. After about 45 minutes the sonar started working for the rest of the time. The same issue happened on the return trip to Shilshole.

Any one have any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

David
eenakok
Pollywog

Re: Lowrance issue question

Postby Nelly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Good afternoon E,
It is very difficult to diagnose an electronics issue on a quick description of the problem but I'm game so here goes! tommygun

I would check your electrical system, particularly the ground or negative side. When I say "check", I mean visually and with a multi-tester.
You can get a multi-tester from Harbor Freight for free so there's no excuse to NOT have one on your boat.
Check the voltage on your batteries as well as your sounder and with the HDS units, you can even display the voltage!
Finally, look at all the connections on the back of your unit.
After you rule out wiring, you can then turn your attention to other system components such as the transducer.
Hope that helps and good luck!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby eenakok » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Thank you Tom!
I will check those things out. The voltage always seems fine (displayed on the screen)

I will check the wiring and go from there.
eenakok
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I would check the mounting height of your trandsucer to make sure it's getting water when you're running. If it's cavitating or dry while your running it could throw your transducer into searching mode and it can take a while to get it back on track. Move it down just a little bit and I bet it clears up for you. Then be sure not to hit anything :shock:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Boat Owners Forum