Scuppers- Recommended for Stabicraft 2050?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Scuppers- Recommended for Stabicraft 2050?

Postby Bait Ball » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 am

All,
Well I am pretty excited as I pulled the trigger and placed an order for a Stabicraft 2050 Supercab. I see that there is a factory option for Self bailing Valves - Duckbills. In talking with Tyler from Boat Country, he didn't recommend this as it was his opinion these would cause more trouble (by allowing water in) then draining water out.
I don't really like the idea that all water will go down into the bilge. Would installing scuppers be an option and if so, would it be something that is recommended? I am a few months out from delivery as the boat is being built Any suggestions/recommendations or if you think I shouldn't worry about it, I would like to hear it. Thanks in advance.
[img]
images.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Bait Ball
Pollywog

Re: Scuppers- Recommended for Stabicraft 2050?

Postby Nelly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey BB,
Welcome to our happy little Forum family here and congratulations on your new ride! thumbup

I don't normally disagree with Tyler or the Boat Country gang as they are excellent, knowledgable professionals but on the "duck bill" bailing valves I believe I have the benefit of a decade's experience.

Bottom line? I need a boat that has a self-bailing deck. With fish and blood on the deck you end up with semi-solids that are not bilge pump "friendly" and the duck bill will blow that stuff out like it was shot out of a cannon!

The down side of the duck bill or self-bailing flapper valves is that they can allow water in and they are a "wear item" that must be replaced periodically.

My advice is to go with your gut feeling, get the duck bills and have them throw in a couple of extras for your spare parts kit!

Good luck! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Bait Ball » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks Nelly. Helps validate my concern. I am going to inquire about the self bailing valve vs an aftermarket install of a through hull scupper. Maybe it can be something Stabicraft would agree to do during production.
Bait Ball
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Bait Ball wrote:Thanks Nelly. Helps validate my concern. I am going to inquire about the self bailing valve vs an aftermarket install of a through hull scupper. Maybe it can be something Stabicraft would agree to do during production.

One last thought BB,
The "duck bill" drain valves require an oval drain opening with a pronounced exterior lip, whereas the other aftermarket scuppers (such as the RayBud "ping pong" ball in a clear housing) require a round hole.

I've used both and the duck bills are the superior product. Other types of one-way drain valves are better than an open hole...but just barely... bangheadwall bangheadwall

The issue with asking a boat builder for a specialized or custom installation is the builder's lack of familiarity with the product and the boat configuration to accommodate the new drain valve can lead to other, unanticipated problems.

Stabi has decades of experience installing the duck bill and the duck bill works!

If it walks like a duck... and, talks like a duck..... rimshot
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Bait Ball » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Nelly,
I would love to take a look at those scuppers!!! Unfortunately this weekend doesn't work well for me as I am taking the family to Eastern WA camping one last time before school starts. I live down south in Gig Harbor, but again would like to see the duckbills on your boat. Maybe we can set up another time in the not so near future. Thanks again!!!
Bait Ball
Pollywog

Postby Bait Ball » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 am

Went ahead and ordered the Duckbill Drains. Will report back when I test them out which won't be until next Spring. Waiting patiently...
Bait Ball
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum