Fiberglass or Aluminum Boat?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Fiberglass or Aluminum Boat?

Postby Fishizzle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I am new to the forum and currently have a 258 Grady Voyager at Edmonds Dry Dock. I am Looking at the Kingfisher 2825 with twin Yamaha 150's, I think the boat may be to big to keep at the dry storage, so with that being said is it a bad idea to keep a big aluminum boat like that moored all year long??. I have heard some stories of bad electrolysis eating aluminum boats up?. Any of you fish a 2825 Kingfisher? thoughts? or should I look at Skagit Orcas's, I really like the idea of a pilot house style boat, dont get me wrong the Grady is a great ride but it's just not as conducive for family fishing, I.E. keeping the wife and little one warm and dry.
Fishizzle
Pollywog

Re: Fiberglass or Aluminum Boat?

Postby Nelly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:04 am

Hey Shiz,
I'm an aluminum guy all the way. thumbup

There is so much used fiberglass on the market that 'glass boats just don't hold their value like an alloy hull.

But, you don't buy a boat for it's resale value... You buy a boat that will work for you... not the other way around...

In other words, keeping a white fiberglass boat looking clean is enough to work a guy to death... Add a high-maintenance power package like an inboard/outboard and dude... bangheadwall

Keeping an outboard-powered aluminum boat moored all year is no problemo as long as you keep it adequately zinced and haul it every couple months for a good pressure washing.

How do I know this??? Because I keep my non-bottom painted aluminum boat in the water over 8 months per year but, never over two months without hauling and cleaning. I'm also a fanatic about keeping those outboards tilted up out of the water, fresh or salt outahere

My next aluminum boat is coming this fall and it's a Weldcraft made right here in Washington.
Weldcraft features a pilothouse style windshield and reverse-chine hull that rides as soft as ANY HULL currently on the market and far better than all the rounded or "soft chines" that come out of every other aluminum boat factory.

The Grady is a "Florida boat" that features a "T-top" with clear canvas curtains that make it impossible to keep warm and dry. In the all-to-short Pacific Northwest summer, it's acceptable but come September... chillpill chillpill

You're on the right track with regard to a true hardtop cabin boat with a back door and heater.

Also, your timing is right for purchasing a boat. In the late season you can find some real gems out there and even if you don't...there is always the Seattle Boat Show in January!

I'll be there in the Master Marine booth with my new, white Weldcraft with beautiful, new white Evinrudes on the transom!

Did I mention the dark, black tinted windows??? spy spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 am

No longer running the Stabi?
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Rock wrote:No longer running the Stabi?

You've got it Rock,
I've been very fortunate to have worked with Stabicraft, a very fine New Zealand company with a class act CEO in Paul Adams.

Now, I have a new opportunity and challenge with Weldcraft , a Washington State company with forward thinking innovation and an excellent, well-built, solid product! rockon
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby king me » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Is the Kuddy King hull the same as the Duckworth Offshore??
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 am

king me wrote:Is the Kuddy King hull the same as the Duckworth Offshore??

Good mornin' KM,
Yup. The Cuddy King and the Duckworth Offshore are cousins.
Renaissance Marine Group is the parent company that produces Ducks and Weldcraft s from the same factory in Clarkston, Washington.
I will be visiting the factory soon and posting pictures of my boat in the building process. thumbup
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby king me » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:04 am

That is a Cadillac ride Tom. I have floated around on a 26 Offshore and let me tell You DYNAMITE gears !!!!
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby Fishizzle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:34 am

Nelly,
I really appreciate your input!
It is a little overwhelming trying to figure it all out. I was looking at the Weldcraft's and Duckworth's as well, I think it's maybe worth the wait for the boat show.
Fishizzle
Pollywog

Postby Jeff Nance » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:18 pm

What??? White...you can't go with white...what are we going to call your boat now...??? Big White just doesn't do it... I am going with Tom's favorite band "Great White"....
Great White.png
Great White.png (47.46 KiB) Viewed 15696 times
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Jeff Nance wrote:What??? White...you can't go with white...what are we going to call your boat now...??? Big White just doesn't do it... I am going with Tom's favorite band "Great White"....
Great White.png

Great White,,,, Hmmm. You may just have something there... shhh spy
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum