Lowrance Gps/sonar Unit Upgrade Questions

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Lowrance Gps/sonar Unit Upgrade Questions

Postby Ratnatcliff » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:59 am

My buddy is contemplating upgrading his current gps sonar unit to either a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI unit, or the Lowrance HDS Gen 2(not touch screen). He's just really not sure which unit has better performance, what transducers and additional equipment he would need to purchase and what the drawbacks/benefits to each unit are. For background we mainly fish halibut and salmon in Puget Sound, and his boat is a Weldcraft Maverick 20 ft. If you could help me out or point me in the right direction to somebody who can we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time guys.
Ratnatcliff
Pollywog

Re: Lowrance Gps/sonar Unit Upgrade Questions

Postby Robbo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 pm

The HDS Gen 2 with a 50/200 transducer is the unit you want for your application buddy thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:50 am

First off, I love the Weldcraft!

The Elite 7 is a fine unit, tough and fairly simple to operate but...

There's always a "but"...isn't there... :ugeek:

For system expansion (Sirius weather & music, radar, Structure Scan), networking (ethernet sonar, multiple transducers and NEMA 2000 engine information) and overall functionality, the HDS Gen 2 series is simply the state of the art in marine electronics!

Thanks for the question and keep 'em coming!!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Ratnatcliff » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Nelly and Robbo,

Thanks for the replys, I sweetened the pot and told him I would kick in on it if he steps up to the gen 2. Thanks for your time and advice. Your show makes a 1.5 hour drive to work each Saturday something I look forward to, keep the great work! Thanks again.
Ratnatcliff
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum