Don't Overlook Your Battery Cables

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Don't Overlook Your Battery Cables

Postby Robbo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:49 pm

I guess there's a first for everything. My new house system was working fine for about three weeks and then for reason it went gunny bag. It's been driving me nuts!

Turns out the cable that ties the two 6 volt batteries together to make it a 12 volt system had a bad end on it. This is a brand new cable installed in late May of this year and Sal at the Bay Company here in Craig figured a little water got into the cable end and then the high amperage quickly corroded the end. New cable...problem solved. Without Sal's load tester it would have taken forever to identify this problem.
cable.jpg
cable.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 6008 times

I post this so someone else might learn from it. Electricity and boats...gotta love it!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Don't Overlook Your Battery Cables

Postby t_dub » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 am

wow, that's a decent amount of corrosion in just a few months but wouldn't think it would be enough to turn your electrical system on its ear just yet. is the 6v system more susceptible to corrosion issues?
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm

t_dub wrote:wow, that's a decent amount of corrosion in just a few months but wouldn't think it would be enough to turn your electrical system on its ear just yet. is the 6v system more susceptible to corrosion issues?

I don't believe that the voltage was the issue, rather the amperage involved and the fact that salt water got into the crimped cable end.

Robbo's battery installation is two high capacity 6V batteries wired in series to produce a 12V system with some serious cold cranking amps! :shock:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jeff Nance » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 am

Silicone on the ends of your electrical connections really helps prevent corrosion.
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Return to Boat Owners Forum