? Wax for old fiberglass?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

? Wax for old fiberglass?

Postby Eddy C » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 am

The color stripe on my fiberglass boat is "chalky" looking. What kind of wax or polish or rubbing compound will take it off? I know the fish don't care, but if I have to go running around in an old boat it could at least look good.
I have a pretty good buffer.
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Re: ? Wax for old fiberglass?

Postby Nelly » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 am

Well,...you could head to West Marine and pay 25% more for a "boating" product...or,...

Head to your local auto parts store and get some McGuire's Cleaner/Wax.
In one step you remove the oxidation that results in that chalky look and get a bit of wax protection.

If the oxidation is heavy, step up to McGuire's Rubbing Compound. Be careful using that with your power buffer though... you could "polish" right through your gel coat...and don't ask me how I learned that... :oops:

Whichever route you go, make sure to finish the job with a quality wax. You'll enjoy watching the water beading up on the hull of your ride, oxidation will be greatly reduced and you'll enjoy quicker clean-ups after using your boat as well!

Good luck and happy "WAX ON, WAX OFF-ing!!!" thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum