Yamaha T8 vs Yamaha T9.9

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Yamaha T8 vs Yamaha T9.9

Postby Thrasher » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:17 pm

I recently sold my T8 and hung a new T9.9 on my NR Seahawk and have noticed some differences, I think. I was curious if any of you have changed over and if so, have you noticed any of these, or others?

I have it hanging on the same side as the T8 was (port). Now when turning port side, most of the time, it takes it forever to turn the boat and especially turning around at the end of a troll. I never had that issue with the T8 as I am now with the T9.9. Now, I am having to walk inside and assist the turn by turning my main and using it as an assist rudder. Turning starboard is business as usual.

Next, throttle response with the TR1 isn't as quick as with the T8. It seems like it takes a bit for it to RPM up and down depending on what I am asking of it. Also, this 9.9 may have a higher HP rating but it doesn't appear to have as much thrust as the T8 did. That T8 was very positive on course adjustments and especially turning around.

Finally, (and I have already talked to the dealer about this one and they talked to me about a fix). You can hear the RPMs fluctuating up and down throughout the troll. It doesn't stay constant. After a couple of minutes it surges upwards in RPMs. This is thought to be due to how lean they come from the factory.

So far, I am not impressed with this motor. Anyone have any feedback on theirs?

Thanks
Thrasher
Pollywog

Re: Yamaha T8 vs Yamaha T9.9

Postby Nelly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:10 pm

I ran a T8 on a 24' a while back and then had to go with a 9.9 on the next boat when the T8 was discontinued.

I agree with you on the throttle response and fine speed control that the T8 offered. When I asked about it The answer I got was that the 9.9 had a different and larger carburator.

I cannot account for the different control characteristics that you're experiencing with the 9.9, assuming of course that the engines are the same shaft length and mounted in the same position.

I'm now running the new fuel-injected Evinrude E-Tec 15 HO and I can honestly say that it's the best trolling motor I've ever used.

The thrust produced by that engine makes turn a snap no matter the weather and my electrical system gets a solid 15 amp output that keeps marine electronics, downriggers and auto-pilots glitch-free and running right!

No warm-up time either! Just hit the start button and you're trolling! Some may balk at the weight of 177 lbs compared to the 114lbs of a T9.9 but those 60 pounds are nothing to worry about on a 20+ foot boat with the right mounting bracket.

The Evinrude 15 HO is a genuine auxillary motor with the thrust to get you home and the electrical output to get your main re-started thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Thrasher » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Do you ever feel that the 15hp is too much to troll at slower speeds? Or does it idle down adequately for slow trolling?
Thrasher
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:44 pm

My 9.9 pushes my 28' North River along fine. The only issue I have is if I'm backing to port the wash from my kicker motor goes right into the bracket, so it's kind of a bank shot kind of deal when I'm turning around. The only issue I've had with mine is some rust inside one of the spark plug caps made it run like crapola. They replaced it and it's running like a top again. My 2008 9.9 spends more time underwater than it does above and the thing keeps plugging right along. I had a T8 on my last jet boat that worked equally as well.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 am

Thrasher wrote:Do you ever feel that the 15hp is too much to troll at slower speeds? Or does it idle down adequately for slow trolling?

To be completely honest, that was my concern when I first got the 15 HO.
When I tried to idle the last two stroke kicker I had, it turned into a plug-fouling smoke machine! That's a carbureted two stroke for ya.. thumbdown

That fuel-injected 15 HO idles down perfectly and gives great (meaning 50 rpm increments) speed control. rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby White Bear » Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 pm

This information might help you guys, from the Striper Owners Club site.
The problem with the new T9.9 outboards was noted by a number of Striper boat owners.
The factory standard T8 prop: AL, 3 blade, 11 3/4" Dia., 5 3/4" pitch.

The factory standard T9.9 prop: AL, 3 blade, 11 3/4" Dia., 7" pitch.

Same hub is used on both.

I recommend the 5 3/4" pitch on both model engines, if your using this outboard as a kicker engine.
Striper 2101 WA Alaskan
http://seastriper.com
White Bear
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum