About to Update my GPS/FF to the HDS-10

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: About to Update my GPS/FF to the HDS-10

Postby Nelly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 am

I hear you Rick.
When you look at that multiple-element Airmar monster and compare it to the plastic transom mounts that we are all used to calling "transducers"...

It amounts to the difference between a toy and a tool. (which, by the way reminds me of my partners... :lol: )

Just wait until you hook that thing up! Make sure you get into the "Installation" menu on your HDS 10 and choose the B164 by name. Your unit will recognize that it is now connected to a 1000 watt transducer and will automatically step-up the output from the 600 watt default output.

The detail you will get from this multi-element transducer has to be seen to be believed! You will love it!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 am

Rob,

I was nervous too. But what the hell you learn by doing not watching... As for the mounting location since I have I/O I mounted it ahead of the motor and 1 foot up from the Keel. I'll get some pictures tonight

Nelly, Help me out withthe analogy.... Your Partners are TOYS and that would make you a TOOL??? If so, your not going to hear the end of that one.... ;)

I'll get a picture of the old and new on the water (side by side so to speak) to show the true ability of the B164 and why it's worth the money.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby rick rysemus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey Rob here are a few Pictures...hope they load
Attachments
IMGP0227-1.jpg
under boat pic
IMGP0227-1.jpg (226.19 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
IMGP0223-1.jpg
Bilge area pic
IMGP0223-1.jpg (232.1 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks for the pics Rick. Is that 5200 I see :?: I need to pick up a bit before I had up, as I'll never find the right one up there. Any advice on bits Nelly or Rick :?:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby rick rysemus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Yep 5200...Fast cure...I used a half tube... roughed up both side of the hull plus the 'ducer.... plan to keep a close eye on it.

For those who don't know Home Depot, of all places, carries standard, 48 hour cure, 5200 for 6 dollars and change and fast cure, 24 hour cure, 5200 for 8 dollar and change...just saying it's cheaper then getting gouged for 14 plus at the marine store....some kind of mark up...I'm all for helping the little guy but come on that's over board....sorry off the soap box

Bits...I used a Milwaukee bi-metal...cut the fiberglass like butter. not cheap and can use it on other projects.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Oh yeah...I know Home Depot a little too well. I'll pick up a couple of tubes there before heading north. Thanks for the tip on that one Rick. Also need a bi-metal bit and some liquid courage to drill a hole in my aluminum hull :)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I had to leave when they were drilling holes in my boat, I don't think I would reccommend liquid courage before drilling. Drill then drink some liquid recovery.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby rick rysemus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Ran the boat last saturday. NO LEAKS... As for everything else it's amazing how much detail this thing shows. We messed with the Structure Scan here and there too. After using it I realized that with just straight Sonar you don't know what side of the boat the bait is on....What a learning experience. Now I know and we'll see how it pays off through out the seasons.

One question for anyone that has a B164 transducer...How far do you have the Sensitivity turned down? I had crank mine down to the negitives just to reduce the amount a detail...at times it was showing too much....

As for Fishing we had a double but they were undersize hatcheries...

All in all a good day.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Previous

Return to Boat Owners Forum