Transom repair on a new to me hewescraft!

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Transom repair on a new to me hewescraft!

Postby Trevor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Ok here goes!
I bought a old 1969 hewescraft ski king with a rotted out transom last year.
I'm sure I'll have lots more questions but my first one is how do I install a new wood transom?
If it were a welded boat I'd look into welding a aluminum one in but its not and I don't think its worth it. FYI this is my first boat. So far I've bought marine grade plywood and stainless steel screws. I would guess that I'd want to use a sealant/adhesive between the boat and wood but what about the outside/exposed side? Any help would be awesome thanks guys!
Trevor
Pollywog

Re: Transom repair on a new to me hewescraft!

Postby Nelly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 pm

First off Trevor, welcome to our little Forum here and I'm sorry for the late reply.
Robbo and I were fishing the OPSD (see our blog) and I just now saw your question!

You are about to tear in to one nightmare project. You're talking about a 40+ year old boat and a transom replacement.
My chief concern is: If the transom is rotted, then in all likelihood so have the "stringers"
Or longitudinal supports that lay parallel with the keel.
The only way to tell is lift the floors and get into the stringers with a ice pick or drill bit.
If you find black, soft material that used to be wood....
Brother, you have got a project beyond the scope of anything I could give you in terms of advice.
Your best course of action is to google "replacing wood transoms on fiberglass boats".
Good luck! If you decide to go through with it, take pictures of the project!
I for one would love to see it! thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Trevor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm

the good news is its a aluminum hull boat with a wood transom. I passed over a few rotted fiberglass boats to get this one. Its old but the motor is a 1991 35 hp Johnson and the trailer was built in 1985. yes its all old but has never been in salt water and i'm mainly gonna use it for the rivers.
Trevor
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 am

That is great news!
I totally missed "the boat" with my response!
I read your question on my phone and saw "Ski King" and thought it was a glass boat..

Dude, replacing the transom on that aluminum boat shouldn't be all that bad! Just try to get all the old wood off the aluminum and drill out the old screws. Try to re-use the screw holes and not drill any new ones.

Once all traces of the old wood transom are gone, get a large piece of cardboard and build a template for your replacement board. Marine plywood is a great start and if you can, try to retain the original thickness of the transom. Depending on what your plywood thickness is, that may mean doubling it up!

I would also consider having a custom piece of aluminum fabricated to fit over the plywood, on top and covering the engine(s) mounting area.

Treat the marine plywood with Deks Oil after cutting to shape -but before installation- paying particular attention to the end grains, as that's where water will start to seep in.

Seal all the bolt holes with 5200 Marine Polyurethane sealant and you should have a solid transom!

Another thought is to go see the professionals at www.HarborMarine.net

They will be able to point you in the right direction with regard to products and procedures for your project!
Great question and good luck!!!.... thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum