Lowrance Structure scan sonar

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: Lowrance Structure scan sonar

Postby rick rysemus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm

How do you think the Structure Scan will help Shrimping and maybe Crabbing?

Once I have mine installed I might have to take it out for a test and see if the typical Shrimp areas show anything. Can't wait.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Dan Carney » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 pm

rick rysemus wrote:How do you think the Structure Scan will help Shrimping and maybe Crabbing?

Once I have mine installed I might have to take it out for a test and see if the typical Shrimp areas show anything. Can't wait.

I'm thinking the DSI module may show the grass bottoms which crabs seem to prefer.
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:10 pm

I've not really considered the impact Structure Scan may have on shellfishing efforts.
I tend to have my shrimp and crab "spots" and have only considered depth and current issues when dropping my pots.
...got something new to think about now!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Sorry Tom... Sometimes I think too much...

It's something I 've wondered about since seening the capabilties of it. I started thinking could this change how one drops pots for shrimp....I've been doing well the last few years but the first drop is always a test drop to find the right depth. This might eliminate the "find'em" test drop...atleast for me...

Also sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

I didn't think of this application for shrimping either. I spent plenty of time staring at my SS screen last summer, but it was always in water less than 200 feet. I'm not sure how clear a picture one would get with Structure Scan when the depths reach beyond that, as the image seems to dissipate substantially at around 250 feet.

This is interesting stuff. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the SS when we're setting the crab pots up north in May. And I'll learn how to save my images to the SD card so i can post them here :D :D
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:26 pm

I really think that it could help when crabbing. It takes all the guesswork out of what type of bottom you are setting your pots. You get a picture that is very clear.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Sleddddder » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Getting mine installed at 3Rivers now. Need to go out with one of you experts & get a tutorial on how to use it.
Sleddddder
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Hey Sled,
I learned so much during the Lowrance Learning Center during the Puyallup Show that it made me realize that I'm no Structure Scan expert.
My advice to you would be to dive into the owners manual you'll get with the unit and contact Jeff Boyer at http://sonargpstraining.com/

Jeff and his partner Jack Findleton are the instructors at the Lowrance Learning Center and I know of no better way to learn the equipment.

If you ever catch me at the ramp or at Bayside Marine, stop by and we will run through some screens.
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Ryan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 pm

But isn't it the case that the structure scan is limited to about 150ft? I don't doubt there are uses for structure scan in the Sound, but I think it's also fair to note this limitation if I am correct in my research. Nelly may have found shrimp higher up in the water column, but I never catch spot prawns shallower than 150 feet when I go shrimping. It's also not a given that it will work for halibut, lings or deeper blackmouth. I think this is technology that is primarily invented for, and intended for, shallower freshwater fishing.
Ryan
Pollywog

Postby rick rysemus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Ryan, I thought the same thing until I read the Spec on it. Then I started thinking when can I put this to use??? Shrimping??? At any rate I'll be paying attention to the screen when dropping and pulling pots...Maybe I'll see a pattern that pays off.

Here's what I found on the capabilities:
Down Scan max range
100ft in the 800kHz
300ft in the 455kHz

Side Scan max range
150ft per side in the 800kHz
250ftper side in the 455kHz

Maybe the guys who have use one can chime in on how well it work and the approx. depth they we're at.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Previous

Return to Boat Owners Forum