Lowrance Question. Elite 5 display flickers...

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Lowrance Question. Elite 5 display flickers...

Postby northriver » Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm

my display flickers when my kicker is running. It's not electric start or trim. nothing else on the boat is on. Just kicker running and sonar. Never thought I would have a "noise" problem when I have the big motor and everything else off. Any ideas?

Just for clarification, I dont have noise on the screen ie fish bait ect..... its the light! it flickers. I dont seem to have a noise problem with the actual display it's self. i have turned on noise reduction and turned down sensitivity but no change. All in the display light. Also, it's appears to be flickering in time with the transducer ping.
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Re: Lowrance Question. Elite 5 display flickers...

Postby Dan Carney » Sat May 26, 2012 8:11 pm

I was kinda waiting to see if someone more knowledgeable was going to reply, however, I will take a stab at it. I have the Elite 5 DSI and do not have a similar issue. The only think I can think of is: does your kicker have a charging system connected to the battery? If so, it could be an issue with the charging system on your kicker. Otherwise I should think the problem has to be in your Lowrance???
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Sun May 27, 2012 6:17 am

Sorry so late responding to this guys. If your display doesn't flicker any other time except when your kicker motor is running it could be the ground from your kicker interfering with the unit. I would chase the ground wires for both the unit and the kicker motor and make sure are free of corrosion and clean as a whistle. Not sure how you have it wired, but it's always best to isolate your electronics from your engines. If it's none of these things then it could the unit itself. Let us know how it goes North River...happy to help man
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 am

northriver wrote:my display flickers when my kicker is running. It's not electric start or trim. nothing else on the boat is on. Just kicker running and sonar. Never thought I would have a "noise" problem when I have the big motor and everything else off. Any ideas?

Hey NR, I have to apologize for being late to the discussion as well but I'm definitely thinking along the same lines as Robbo.
The dead-bang diagnosis is simple: Bring a second battery on board and power your Elite 5 with it, then fire up your kicker.
Since the second battery is completely isolated from you boats electrical system you'll be ruling out kicker electrical interference.
If, on the other hand the situation remains unchanged, you have a transducer cable interference problemo. A re-route of your 'ducer cable away from any kicker wiring should clean you right up!

Lastly, could you tell me how many batteries you have on board? If you have a single battery system and that battery is over two years old, my guess is that you are under-volting your electrical system.

The installation of a two-battery (New, Group 27 AGM's preferably..) system with an on-board charger and main battery switch along with a dedicated heavy-gauge (10 ga.) wire dedicated electronics circuit (both positive and negative) will make all of your power problems a dim memory... thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby northriver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:11 pm

I appreciate all the response and help. Let me clarify a couple things.

1. My kicker is not electric start or hooked into the boats electrical system what so ever. No ground.
2. My battery is a group 24 (only 1) and is 2 years old ( I replaced after 4 years even though I was having no problems at all. My boat is only 17' and I don't run much stuff. At most, i would have my elite5 on and running 2 electric down riggers. my vhf is handheld. no radio, no radar, no auto bilge, pretty simple.
3. I think 2 batteries and onboard charging system is overkill. However, I will gladly take that advice when I purchase my new boat this winter. This boat is going up for sale and I am purchasing a 23' duckworth pro7 and putting 4 scotty's on it thumbup
My elite5 seems to run perfect except for the display light flickering seemingly in time with a sonar ping.

This is how I am wired.
One battery--1hot and 1 ground to ground/power block. bilge and lights to ground/power block then switch panel. 12v accessories port (which I never use)and Elite5 wired directly to ground/power block. down riggers directly to battery with the white coated 12g.

I wonder if i take my Elite5 ground off the ground block and ground it to battery would make a diff?
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Hey NR,
Even though your kicker is not attached to your positive electrical system, it is grounded to your hull due to the fact that it's bolted to the boat.

Try replacing that Group 24 for a new Group 27 and pull new ground and power wire (12 ga. minimum) to your sounder and I will bet your problems go away.

If your kicker is not charging the battery while trolling, it's in a state of constantly discharging. Short run times from the ramp to your fishing grounds may not completely replace the lost juice!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum