50 or 200 kHz??????? which do you run

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

50 or 200 kHz??????? which do you run

Postby northriver » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:19 am

I have an Eagle Seafinder 480 df 50/200. And Yes, I need to upgrade my electronics. Saving my money for a HDS or an elite5. But until then I have this duel frequency transducer 50/200. Which do ou run in on in the salt? I have played with every setting on my unit and still havn' made up my mind which i like the best. Also, do you guys like to see your downrigger balls on the screen? I do. Which setting gives makes the balls visible for you? Thanks nate
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Re: 50 or 200 kHz??????? which do you run

Postby Nelly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey Nate,
First, sorry about taking so long to reply. I just got back from the Puyallup and checked the board... Great question!!!

Both frequencies have their strengths and your challenge is deciding which advantages best suits your style of fishing.

Before we can answer your question, lets get a handle on what each "freq" has to offer:

192 or 200 kHz : Shallower depths, Narrow cone angle, Better definition and target separation, Less noise susceptibility.

50 kHz: Deeper depths, Wide cone angle, Less definition and target separation, More noise susceptibility.

It's generally considered that the depths at which we persue salmon, 200kHz is the better choice due to the target separation and noise issue. Since we're generally using trolling motors of some sort as well as downriggers, possibly an autopilot such as a TR-1 and other on board electronics the noise issue can loom large.
For a "running picture" when you're up on plane you'll get a better pic from 200kHz and yes, I really like to see my downrigger balls on my sounder! It gives you an excellent visual reference of your gear's position in relation to bait and fish marked on your sounder.

Thanks for your question and for joining our forums!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby northriver » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks Nelly,

I have found some days in 50kHz everything is fine and i tend to pickup a lot more bait balls as well as my downrigger balls.

In 200, I have found i lose sight of my downriggers, I'm guessing it's the cone angle. Everything else is fine on 200khz.

OK, so they say 50kHz for deeper water? that's odd, my unit tends to lose bottom and just flash 60' at me when in that setting a heck of a lot more often
. I rarely have a problem in 200 but cant see my Balls :) and don't mark as many fish or bait.

I could run at 50kHz all the time when the unit was new 4 years ago. I could see my balls, fish and bait! after a couple years it developed this issue where it will only work in 50kHz about half the time. Very frustrating :evil: Other times it will work just fine in 50khz.

You can see I prefer to run it in 50, but it just doesn't find bottom and stay "locked on". I thought maybe I had a setting wrong. But theres not to much to my unit, they are pretty easy to run and I'm pretty sure I know everything there is about it but I could be wrong.
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:40 am

Intermittent depthfinder problems are definitely a pain and brutal to diagnose.
However, there are a few things you can check.
First, it all starts with power. Clean connections and larger gauge wire to your unit will ensure you're not under powering it.
Next, looks for cracks on the face of your transducer as well as chips and impact marks. When a ceramic transducer element comes loose inside it's housing, performance suffers and becomes inconsistent and erratic to say the least.

It makes sense that you can see your downrigger balls easier on the 50 kHz setting due to the wider cone angle. You might benefit from a transducer replacement and/ or re positioning of your current 'ducer.

Check out Lowrance Transducer Tips! for more information and good luck!!!

PS. You're right.... you need an upgrade... :P
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salmonhawk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 am

Great question and great info.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Another great way to get a read or feel of how your electronics and frequency of choice is performing is to get on someone else's boat!
If you have a fishing buddy who has decent electronics, swap a ride with him sometime! Chances are, he will learn as much as you from the experience!

If you don't have a friend that fits this description, book a charter and have the skipper run you through his gear.

If you mention your intentions as you book the charter, most Captains are glad to work with you!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum