Hey Nelly

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Hey Nelly

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Question for you.

I take out of Bayside and head to the west side of Possession. I fish for around for 4 hours on the kicker and occasional moving on the main motor. Then head back to Bayside. During that trip I will burn 12-14 Gallons, how much does your rig burn? I'm just asking to see how an I/O compares to Outboards. I realize that you are running a pair of motors also. I'm running a GM 305 on a Volvo Penta 280. The motor is using a Holley 4bbl carb. I'm wondering if I'm burning an exessive amount for that distance and if I would do better by switching out to a Carter AFB Marine carb. And what to look for in my next boat...
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Hey Nelly

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Hey LM,
I know I would be definitely be under 18 gallons for a west side of Possession four or five hour trip.
Even though I'm running twins, my total cubic inch displacement is only 400 (Evinrude 200HO's are 200 cubes each) compared to your 305 cubes.
My rig cruises at 34mph so I'm guessing that those twins are running for less time than your four stroke I/O.

I really don't think that changing the carburator will reduce your fuel consumption but if it's been a while since a carb service you might consider a rebuild. I don't know if Joe's Carburators in Lynnwood is still in business, but if they are, that's the place I would take a marine carburator. They did two carbs for me when I was running I/O's and the engines never ran and idled better!

Speaking of Inboard/Outboards, I can't tell you how much more maintenance they are than an outboard motor.

Think about it for a minute: the four stroke automotive engine with it's oil pan and starter occassionally soaking in a saltwater bilge which leads to rusted, corroded parts and electrical connections. The same saltwater splashing around the sparkplugs, wires and distributor stressing those components shortening their service life, dependability and leaking electricity everywhere resulting in dead batteries. Been there, done that.....and I'm done with that! No more I/O's for this guy!

I'm a Stabicraft aluminum boat, Evinrude Outboard guy....since you asked ;) :D ;)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Hey Nelly

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:18 pm

@ 3000 rpm I'm running 32mph on the GPS. I used to do a little worse until I had Les at Les Propeller Service in Marysville work up a prop for me.
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Return to Boat Owners Forum