Blacktail Scouting Today

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Blacktail Scouting Today

Postby Robbo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:02 pm

My wife had today off from teaching so we decided to head out mid-morning to check out one of the local blacktail spots. This was much better than going for a walk around the neighborhood :D
Sure'nuf...we walked about 25 yards into the first clear cut and right into a doe with a yearling.
does_web.jpg
does_web.jpg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 9244 times
We backed off and walked all the way around the clear cut on the main road to the other end. There we jumped onto a trail that went right thru the middle of the cut. About halfway thru the cut we jumped a nice blacktail buck that had to have been actively rubbing on this tree. Far too fresh of a rub to be anything but that.
rub_web.jpg
rub_web.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 9244 times
This was the only fresh rub we saw on the entire hike. Seems like they're running a little late this year...at least in this area. Sure got me fired up for deer hunting though :)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Blacktail Scouting Today

Postby AkKings » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Robbo wrote: This was the only fresh rub we saw on the entire hike. Seems like they're running a little late this year...at least in this area. Sure got me fired up for deer hunting though :)

After missing all of the early bow season I hope they are late, like late bow season late :D
AkKings
Pollywog

Re: Blacktail Scouting Today

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Wow you have bucks rubbing already, things are getting ready to boom.

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Return to Hunting Camp Forum