Montana Deer Hunt...BRRRRR!

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Montana Deer Hunt...BRRRRR!

Postby Robbo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:58 pm

We just returned from hunting mule deer in Montana in some of the coldest temperatures any of us have ever hunted in. For the first 5 days of the hunt the air temp never got above 5 degrees. One of the days the low was -23 as we headed out in the morning and the high was -7. Bitter cold!
brrr_web.jpg
brrr_web.jpg (55.9 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

You simply had to be covered head to toe to even have a chance. Outside of the usual fuzzy wuzzy garments I purchased a set of 1000 gram Irish Setter Elk Stalker boots at Sportco that were absolutely awesome. With one pair of smart wool socks and another pair of Cabelas socks my feet barely got cold.
frozen_web.jpg
frozen_web.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

Took the mask off long enough to get a dork selfie that shows some of the Montana countryside. Pretty open country if and if you can see them they can also see you. Very challenging!
frozen2.jpg
frozen2.jpg (139.88 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

We hunted a mix of BLM and BMA ground in Montana. BMA units are blocks of private ground that farmers allow hunters access to. There are a ton of them in Montana and if you do your homework you can find some real honey holes. We did the homework and found some great spots to hunt.With a lot of the private land leased up by clubs and guides nowadays this is an awesome program thumbup
bma_web.jpg
bma_web.jpg (144.61 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

We rode quads on the BLM lands that had roads on them. Here's Nelly unloading the Can Am Outlander 450 that he borrowed for the trip. I had this machine going 56 mph on a chilly day over there and the ride from the independent rear suspension is sweet. I haven't had much experience with a new ATV like one and I'm sold thumbup
triton_ramp.jpg
triton_ramp.jpg (138.33 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

I passed up a lot of bucks looking for "the one". I found some beautiful animals but never did find a true thumper. This buck on the last day would do just fine though....definitely a beautiful muley.

I layed on top of a ridge in the snow for around an hour and a half waiting for him to get out of his bed. I got within 320 yards and waited...any closer and he would've run for the hills. You've got to push your pack and rifle out to the rim edge in this country. Stick your head over the horizon and they are gone in a flash. Walk out on top of the ridge and stand there like a dumb ass and you might not EVER see them again. I've done that myself and they don't waste any time getting out of dodge.
rifle_pack.jpg
rifle_pack.jpg (144.35 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

Eventually a coyote walked up and got this mule deer to stand up and my .300 win mag barked shortly thereafter.
endsley_mule_deer_web2.jpg
endsley_mule_deer_web2.jpg (174.01 KiB) Viewed 27072 times

The end of the another great trip with a bunch of stellar friends. I simply can't imagine travelling with a finer group of people. Despite the weather it was yet another great adventure in the outdoors and a great hunting trip thumbup
montana_mule_deer_web.jpg
montana_mule_deer_web.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 27072 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Montana Deer Hunt...BRRRRR!

Postby trophymac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:49 pm

I will have to say that is a much better story than the Washington hunt… Looks cold but a good time..
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby duchunter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Good job Rob!! I miss going out to Montana such a great place to hunt!!
duchunter
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:41 am

Nice work bro and thanks for having me over there!
Can't wait for next year in my new camo BRP Outlander ATV...and some new prescription lenses spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Just stumbled on this pic of my 3 liter day pack bladder frozen solid. Water didn't last long in those cold temps before it was a block of ice.
bladder_web.jpg
bladder_web.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 26866 times

And Tom's bad ass Outlander ATV. 56 mph on this bad boy before I realized I was on an icy road...without a helmet :shock:
montana1_web.jpg
montana1_web.jpg (118.69 KiB) Viewed 26866 times
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Here's a few more words and pictures of our Montana hunt. What a great time and I can't wait 'till next year!
http://www.theoutdoorline.com/blog/2014/11/23/montana-mule-deer-matriculation/
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Great hunt guys and a nice public lands buck. It sure shows that patience perseverance pays off. The only question is what did you wear to keep your hands warm on the long wait for the buck to offer a good shot? Thanks for sharing the hunt.

Gary clap
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:00 am

I kept my gloves on most of the time Gary. I bought some relatively inexpensive Manzella gloves at Sportco that worked great even in the bitter cold. When the buck finally stood up I chucked my right glove and settled in for the shot tommygun
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Hunting Camp Forum