Mar Don Hunt part Due

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Mar Don Hunt part Due

Postby Medium D » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Robbo put a great report together for our couple days of hanging with buddies and wackin' birds at Mar Don. As mentioned on the first day we divided into two groups and our group went to the field North of Pot Holes. We had about a 45 minute drive which meant a 4:00 am, hit the road kind of start.
We got out to the field and where absolutely socked in by fog. It actually made it difficult for the guides to locate the spot they had scouted and planned on hunting. After a bit, the location was found and everyone got to work.

We had to get the ground blinds lined-out and dressed out in brush and grass.
DSCN0580.JPG
Getting the Ground Blinds Laid-Out
DSCN0580.JPG (239.17 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

Then the task of getting all the decoys set. We ended up setting out about 140 deeks for a nice big spread. We had seven guns, plus the three guides there to shoot these flying hams and we needed a wide landing area.
DSCN0581.JPG
Deek Spread
DSCN0581.JPG (218.45 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

The morning was a bit tough. We could literally hear, thousands of birds flying over-head, the problem was we couldn't see'em. So we had some standing around time after getting set up. It was a great chance for guys to entertain each other with stories and BS. I would say probably 90% BS.
DSCN0589.JPG
Waiting, Wating, Waiting, for the fog to lift just a bit...
DSCN0589.JPG (235.65 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

We finally climb into our ground blinds and the guides went to work, calling in the Geese. The anticipation was killing me and we still had a good amount of fog and very few birds that would commit. "So what do ya do?" Pop-up out of the blind, bash on each other and more BS... That's John "The Coach" Keizer, his buddy Steve, Jay "The Reverend" Field and Kevin John of Holiday sports.
DSCN0592.JPG
The BS continues
DSCN0592.JPG (196.39 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

Awe Yeah, Life in the lay-down-blind...
DSCN0600.JPG
Inside the blind
DSCN0600.JPG (208.5 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

The fog finally lifted and we had two opportunities with birds that actually dropped in and gave us a chance. I think we had about 15 birds and the day was wearing on. We decided to stick it out and hope for another couple chances when the geese would return to the lake. This also meant, "More friggin waiting" and yes "more friggin BS". But it's all good. This particular group of guys are all great to hang with. Along with the fore-mentioned we also had Jim Hines, a buddy of Robbo's who goes by the name Bucket. Now that's a funny story. And also Tony who also works with Keizer.
DSCN0601.JPG
More Friggin Waiting
DSCN0601.JPG (207.01 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

The wait was worth it. We wacked ten more nice birds and then called it a day. Of course it was starting to get dark, so we kind of had too. A great day with great dudes and a 25 bird kill, not too shabby.
DSCN0607.JPG
Nice line-up
DSCN0607.JPG (192.4 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

Happy Dudes and a pretty good day...
DSCN0609.JPG
Good Times
DSCN0609.JPG (186.54 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

Apparently Coach got ahold of Bucket's "But Out" and thought he would give Jim a hand in cleaning his geese. When Coach realized that it's not really designed for that, he asked the Reverend for assistance in removal of the plug. Jay jumped right in there and was heard proclaiming, "You pull, I'll blow" and believe it or not, the darn thing came out. Nice job fella's.
DSCN0613.JPG
"Butt Out" extraction, it takes a team
DSCN0613.JPG (200.13 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

Also want to thank our outstanding guides; Kelly, Jay and Todd, you guys Rock...
Medium D
Duane Inglin
www.theoutdoorline.com 710 ESPN
Owner/Operator StrongArm Guide Service
Medium D
Master of Bait

Re: Mar Don Hunt part Due

Postby Eli » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Good story looks like it would have been a good laugh 50cal
Eli
Pecker Trout

Postby DuckDog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Great report Medium D thumbup

What the hells a Butt Out anyway? I'm already LMAO at the possibilities rofl

Good to see all you guys having a good time in the field. I might just have to finagle my way onto this hunt for next year rockon
DuckDog
Pollywog

Postby Bucket » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:05 pm

DuckDog wrote:Great report Medium D thumbup

What the hells a Butt Out anyway?

If you gotta ask, well you dont need ta know!
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby Bucket » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks for postin the report Duane. Enjoyed the trip and hangin with ya for a couple days.
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Return to Hunting Camp Forum