Sunshine and Sekiu!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Sunshine and Sekiu!

Postby Captain Morgan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 am

This last weekend, a friend and I made the road trip out to Sekiu for a crack at some bottom dwellers. With a decent weather forecast and favorable tides, hopes were high.

When we arrived at the crack of 2AM, the marina and resorts were PACKED!
Van Riper’s was hosting a Halibut derby and I think many others saw the same opportunities in a bright weather and tide forecasts just like us.

We worked the standard areas, including the flats out in front of the river. It was very slow after we fished both sides of the ebb, so we adjusted our plan and headed out to DEEP waters.

That move seamed to make the difference, at least for us. Although still far from HOT fishing, I was able to scrape together my limit of Halibut and Ling.

We herd a 71lb’er took first place in the derby, and also heard about a gentleman who brought a 101lb’er back to the dock, but like us, decided not purchase a derby ticket!

As it stands right now, folks will have one more shot at the Sekiu Halibut opportunities this season.
Black Label herring was the bait that seamed to have brought most fish back to the dock.
sekiu halibut.JPG
sekiu halibut.JPG (126.54 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Captain Morgan
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports