Kokanee

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Kokanee

Postby Smalma » Wed May 18, 2011 10:45 am

After a couple of years of talk about kokanee and specifically Lake Stevens and its upcoming derby between a buddy and myself we made a "date" for a morning on the water. Today was the day and we were going to meet at the City launch at 5:00AM. for what we hoped would be morning of productive fishing (the lake had been fishing well).

With a cooler of drinks and fresh smoked kokanee had the boat in the water at 4:45 AM and the gear organized shortly thereafter for what looked to be great day to be on the water- no clouds or wind. The buddy seemed to be running a tad late but no big deal; had the chance to visit with a few of the folks that were also early birds - trading notes on what had been working, etc. He was still a no show at 5:45 so called and left a message that I was going out on the lake and to give me a call.

Being one not to waste a day on the water I decided to experiment a bit and with every kokanee I would change gear - the goal was to catch a limit (10 fish) on 10 different outfits. Less than 3 hours later mission accomplished - 10 kokanee in the cooler caught on 10 different lures, in combination with 6 different dodgers and 3 scents (and two with no scent). Caught fish from the surface down to 24 feet below the surface. The successful lures varied from bare hooks (baited with a maggot) to apex lures to hoochies to wedding ring spinners. In short the fishing was good and conditions look like they are developing nicely for those fishing the derby on Saturday.

My buddy - he never did show but did call at 6:21 to report that he had "forgotten" but did say we should try to make it another time- Yeah right!! - LOL

BTW -
Guess I now know that kokanee are not Chinook!!!

Tight lines
Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Re: Kokanee

Postby Nelly » Thu May 19, 2011 1:34 pm

That's funny Smalma!
The same thing happened to me this morning! I was at the ramp at first light and my fishing partner didn't show either? :?
Could it have been the anticipated Wednesday shrimp opener that didn't happen? Could we have just gotten our wires crossed? Or am I just that stupid???
Multiple choice. Your call... :lol:
Glad you whacked em! :D
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby FishinRich » Sat May 21, 2011 6:14 am

I wanted to show off my biggest kokanee I have ever caught.
FishinRich
Pollywog

Postby FishinRich » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 am

big kokanee.jpg
big kokanee.jpg (246.38 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
Here it is 3 lb 5 oz, 21 inches.
FishinRich
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sat May 21, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for checking in on the radio show this morning Rich. That's a fricking toad :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Fishing Reports