Chelan, Washington Area Report

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Chelan, Washington Area Report

Postby House » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm

What’s hot is trolling for Lake Trout on Lake Chelan between the State Park and the Monument. Also red-hot is trolling flies for planter rainbows on Roses Lake. The Flat between the Bar and Minneapolis has also remained productive for good-sized lakers. There are great numbers of Kokanee showing, but the bite isn’t quite on yet.

Troll with Worden Lures Purple Glow U20 flatfish or baited Mack’s Lures Cha Cha Squidders off the downriggers. Fish outrigger rods with either splatterback Kingfisher Lite’s from Silver Horde or Purple Glow Rushin’ Salmon Wobblers from Critter Gitter.

The Kokanee bite should really come on in the next week or two. Get some of those Mack’s Lures mini Cha Cha Squidders and Kokanee Pro Wedding Rings rigged behind Mack’s Lures Flash Lites or their little Double “D” dodgers. Our sonar is telling us this is going to be a great Kokanee year on Chelan.

Roses Lake is a “kick” for quick limits of planter rainbows. By far the best technique for me was pulling size 8 to size 2 Black Wooly Bugger flies behind an action disk. Mack’s mini Cha Cha Squidders should work great too. Add a 3/8 oz bullet weight a couple of feet in front and troll erratically.

Maybe this has been around, but my favorite saying from a customer this week was “redneck meets Star Trek.” Imagine the possibilities.

Your fishing tip of the week is to plan a little and prep before you get on the water. Tying up leaders and other rigs as well as prepping back up rods and reels will make you a more productive fisherman and prevent frustration. Trying to string rods up and hit the hook eye with the line in a rocking boat with numb fingers is not a good use of your on the water time.

The kid’s tip of the week is to build your fishing traditions. As we get older, those happy memories are an important part of our satisfaction. I had a father / son team out on the boat for the kids birthday. This was his third year in a row! It reminded me of the great times that I had as a kid with my Dad, on opening day of trout season in Pennsylvania.

Your safety tip of the week is to watch out for those spring storms when you are out there in small boats. You can see those spring squalls roll in off of Stormy Mountain. Run for cover! You can re launch and be fishing again in a few minutes. It sure beats that unexpected swim…

Anton Jones of Darrell & Dad's Family Guide Service (1-866-360-1523 or http://www.darrellanddads.com)

chelan1.jpg
chelan1.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

Pictured: 4-16-11 - Lee Gwin of Burlington with Jay and J.R. Smith of Mt. Vernon and Cain "Redneck meets Star Trek" Brand of Chelan Falls.

chelan2.jpg
chelan2.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

Also Pictured: 4-16-11 - Mark Bergstresser of Kent with Randy Smith of Ravensdale and Bill Covey of Cle Elum..

(Authors Note: Sorry for the delay. The old Desk Top finally gave up the ghost. A new computer and old software were very awkward! Anton)
House
FYI

Return to Fishing Reports