San Juan finishing strong!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

San Juan finishing strong!

Postby Nelly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:14 pm

From Kevin Klein, Friday Harbor, PSA San Juan Islands, CCA Northsound

The 7th Annual Frank Wilson Memorial Blackmouth Derby ended with a big shot of fish on Friday, April 15th.
I headed to Salmon Bank at first light, and a flotilla of boats soon followed. We were all looking for that "last day fish" to unseat one of the money placings. After three hours of trolling, no fish. I had, however, lost two entire downrigger set-ups, 12lb. ball, snubber, rudder, cable and all. I was fishing solo, and down to one last 10 lb. ball
Debating whether to run in and go shopping I figured I might as well make a pass on the west side of Lopez Island while heading in the direction of the tackle shop. I got the gear down and started marking fish. A lot of bait and birds showed up, and the place was looking a little more interesting. My rod soon yanked down, and I had a hold of something pretty big. After a good fight I scooped it one handed with the net, dropped the rod, closed the purse and hauled her aboard. Beautiful, about 19 and clean shaven. That was the one I had been looking for all year. I got back in the water, released two more and then finally tagged out on a nice 10 lb.er. All on the Irish Cream Hootchie Hooker. More boats showed up, along with the Orcas, as I was running for the scales. Turns out I should have run a little sooner, as my fish knocked Rich Warin out of third, but weighed two-hundredths of an ounce less than Marty Cevalier Jr.s second place fish. 19.23 lb.s vs. 19.25 lb.s, just a few drops of blood.
That wasn't the only excitement for the day, as Carol Davis weighed in not one, but two fish bigger than Karen Rhineharts 12.70 lb.er in the final hours. The 13.48 lb. fish gave Carol the win in the Women's division.
Marshall Clarke caught a 7.74 lb. fish to win the kids top prize on the last day as well.
What an ending for a derby that saw adverse weather conditions, and scattered fish for most of the event. In all, 56 anglers weighed in 72 blackmouth. The first annual women's division saw 10 participants in a heated race.
Thanks to Kings Marine and their vendors for the donations of the weekly prizes and some great door prizes for the awards ceremony. Sharon and her crew put in alot of hard work for this tournament, and raised $2500 for San Juan Island Emergency Services.
The final top placings are:
1st. Raymond Ploghoft, 20.70 lbs, $1000
2nd. Marty Chevalier Jr. 19.25 lbs, $500
3rd. Kevin Klein 19.23 lbs, $250
Women's: Carol Davis 13.48 lbs $250
Kids: Marshall Clarke 7.74 lb.s $250
Mystery: Jerry Greene 6.74 lb.s $250

Turns out the ending of the derby was just the beginning of the good fishing. A lot of fish were hooked throughout the weekend, with limits and multiple releases being the norm. Saturday and Sunday saw the "Draggin' Ladies", Carol Davis and Karen Rhinehart put on a show. The first day, Karen and her husband Lance put a nice 18 lb. blackmouth in the boat. Carol, fishing with life-skipper Andy Holman then caught a 15 lber.
Sunday saw a reversal as Karen and Lance caught a 15lber. Then, proving the family that stays together slays together, Carol decked a beautiful 18. Both these women are accomplished anglers in ther own right, with good fishing partners. Look out for these teams on the Northwest Salmon Derby series in the future.
The last two weeks of the season may be red hot in the San Juans, with what looks like some better weather.

Kevin Klein with 19.23 lb. blackmouth caught on the final day to take 3rd. place.
aPic1.jpg
aPic1.jpg (54.98 KiB) Viewed 3010 times

Carol Davis with two 13 and 14 pound fish to take top prize for the women.
apic2.jpg
apic2.jpg (28.19 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Fishing Reports