Big Brook Trout & Lahontans

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Big Brook Trout & Lahontans

Postby KayakFishingWA » Fri May 22, 2015 8:54 am

I just returned from three days in Omak fishing several Colville Tribal Lakes. If you've ever wanted to target large brook trout then you must check out McGinnis Lake near Nespelem, WA. You'll need a Colville Tribal license (available at several retailers including Walmart in Omak) to fish this lake and any other Colville managed lake, but it's well worth it. Also, this lake does not allow combustable engines, so this limits you to a kayak, row boat, canoe or electric motor.
brookroll.jpg
Brook Trout Netted
brookroll.jpg (120.68 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

My buddy and I launched our Hobie kayaks in the early afternoon. Fish were popping all over the surface of the lake grabbing a white fly hatch (a tip to you bug wand guys..). We tried working small needlefish and trout killers near the surface but had no takers. After marking a few fish deep, we dropped our lead core back 4 colors. I picked up a fish immediately. A beautiful 18" brook trout. I'll have to admit, their coloring looks like a bull trout. They also fight about the same.
brookbrian1.jpg
Brian holding a nice brook trout
brookbrian1.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

We landed another couple beefy brook trout before moving down the road to Rebecca Lake. Rebecca Lake is a small shallow lake also on the reservation. This lake also does not allow motors and it's only about 5 feet deep in the middle of the lake. I love hitting this lake just before sunset. The largemouth bass come to the edges of the overhanging cattails and devour any weedless Senko or Salamander you throw their way. We landed quite a few before we could no longer see our line.
rebeccabass.jpg
Largemouth Bass on Rebecca Lake
rebeccabass.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

Day 2 we got an early start and hit the south end of Omak Lake. Omak Lake is a large, deep lake that is high in alkalinity. The Colville tribe stocks this lake with over 100,000 Lahontan Cutthroat Trout per year . The brood stock is from Pyramid Lake in Nevada. The fish in this lake do not get as large at Pyramid but if you work it, you could land one in the teens. Here's a quick video of a C&R Lahontan I got https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvNscl0oI3Y&feature=youtu.be
nettedlahontan.jpg
Netted Lahontan with beautiful coloring
nettedlahontan.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

There is a primitive boat launch at the south end of the lake. I'd recommend 4WD if you are launching. The north end of the lake has a gravel and sand beach that is quite shallow. You can launch from the beach but it's a better option at the north end for boats.

The wind can pick up quickly on the lake. It's easy to tuck back into a sheltered cove to get out of it. The day we launched it was blowing 15mph. We didn't push down the lake farther than 2 miles. There are quite a few large fish spawning in shallow water this time of year. If you're a fly fisherman or bank angler, concentrate your efforts at the north and south ends of the beach where there is access from shore. Boats and other watercraft will get you into some inaccessible areas not reachable by shore.
brianlahontan1.jpg
Nice color pattern on Brian's Lahontan
brianlahontan1.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

Trolling with lead-core line is the best option for targeting these fish. Large Needlefish spoons, Brad's Superbait Cutplugs and Apex lures work great. No bait is allowed and single, barbless hooks are required. The fishery is C&R until May 31st which allows these fish to spawn and move to deeper water. Frankly, I've found the lake fishes well year round.

Tune in to The Outdoor Line on Saturday, May 23rd to hear the full report!

bradlahontan1.jpg
Brad holding a nice colored Lahontan
bradlahontan1.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

Get out there and explore the Okanagan Lakes. This paper is a great resource for all of the Colville Lakes http://issuu.com/omak_chronicle/docs/fishrapper
Brad is founder of Kayak Fishing Washington; We promote the sport of kayak fishing in Washington State through clinics, meet ups and guiding.
http://www.kayakfishingwashington.com
& http://www.facebook.com/kayakfishingwashington
KayakFishingWA
Pollywog

Re: Big Brook Trout & Lahontans

Postby Robbo » Fri May 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I've hunted Okanogan County for years but have yet to do any fishing over there. Really looking forward to your report on the Outdoor Line tomorrow morning Brad. Fun stuff man!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Fishing Reports